Sandra's Reviews > The Girl Who Was on Fire: Your Favorite Authors on Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games Trilogy

The Girl Who Was on Fire by Leah Wilson

Oct 10, 11

bookshelves: e-books, in-english, utopia-dystopia, read-in-2011, non-fiction
Read from October 09 to 10, 2011

An insightful book on the The Hunger Games series. It's basically a collection of various essays written about the series. The topics cover a wide range of things, such as fashion, science, PTDS and reality-shows. If you're like me, you'll have found the series very interesting. You'll have had a great many thoughts, that are most likely bundled in this book. That doesn't mean it isn't gratifying to see someone else write it out quite a bit better than you can and occasionally I will read about a new perspective I hadn't considered before.

What I liked most about the essays was that it backed me up in one thing: shipping isn't by far the most important part of the plot. None of the essays deal with whether Peeta or Gale is the better choice of partner for Katniss (as a main topic). The one coming closest to that is an essay about love and even that focuses primarily on Prim. I personally find that the Team Peeta and Team Gale debate has gotten out of hand. For me personally the series was about something else entirely: the creepy world that is out there, the manipulation of people, the actual threat of real-life television. That yes people, The Hunger Games could become a possibility, and then I'm not talking about the odds of you meeting your own Peeta or Gale. I really couldn't care less about that, for me it's Team Katniss all the way and I've never really seen her as romantic. (For people who are also Team Katniss, there's one very interesting essay in here for you guys, which is aptly named "Team Katniss".)

For me my favourite essay was written by Sarah Darer Littman and it was called "The Politics Of Mockingjay". She got me quite easily by stating: "Hunger Games series the focus was never about Team Gale or Team Peeta the way it was for so many readers; the romance was a subplot." She continues to talk about the war in Iraq, and though you may be sick of that, she raises good points and it goes a long way in showing that dystopias are often not as dystopian as they may seem.

These essays serve to pick up on the wealth of material and themes as discussed in the The Hunger Games series. None of the essays are alike (though there may be times where they slightly overlap), and it will help you to let the scales fall from your eyes. The story of The Hunger Games is scary, mostly because so much of it is or could be real.

And I just wanted to give my kudos to Leah Wilson, who did a fabulous editing the book. I truly enjoyed the introductions to the essays and it will serve you perfectly if don't know whether a particular topic interests you or not.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Who Was on Fire.

10/09/2011 page 71
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ruby (new)

Ruby Please can I just say that I really love all of your reviews as of late, they're so elaborate and insightful and fun to read!

Sandra Aww, thank you! Though not all my reviews are so elaborate, but some books deserve it because they make me have all these ~feelings. ;)