Sandra's Reviews > Sunlight and Shadow: A Retelling of The Magic Flute

Sunlight and Shadow by Cameron Dokey

Oct 01, 2011

bookshelves: e-books, fantasy, in-english, read-in-2011, fairytale
Read from September 30 to October 01, 2011

This book is a retelling of Mozart's opera The Magic Flute. I don't know if it is a good retelling because I'm not very familiar with the opera, but as a story it was quite alright, and a lovely quick read.

The story is quite imaginative, I loved the fantasy world it described. The writing was quite okay too, but I think the best thing about this story were the perspectives, the book is written from the perspective of most of the major characters and it really added to the depth of the story.

So yes, I quite enjoyed it. I will have to look into more of Dokey's retellings, I'm quite interested.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sunlight and Shadow.

message 1: by Ana (new)

Ana I've read a couple of the Once Upon a Time books now, and I enjoyed them too. The Sleeping Beauty one was a bit odd and a bit confusing, but the Snow White retelling was really creative and imaginative. Happy reading!

Sandra :D Yeah, I'd seen you'd read a few. :) And thanks for the recommendation, I'll definitely try to find the Snow White one :) (I also really want to find the Mulan retelling. I just hope I won't forget to look into it..)