James's Reviews > Chronicles: Volume One

Chronicles by Bob Dylan

Mar 31, 12

bookshelves: i-own-a-copy, biography, read-in-2012, read-in-teenties, non-fiction
Read from February 27 to March 06, 2012

Wow! A dense, extraordinary approach to an auto-biography. Dylan was never going to write a conventional biography, and readers who want one should keep on walking. This isn't for them.

Instead Dylan has constructed a mythology as autobiography. While I think it's fair to assume that everything in this book is true, I think we should probably accept that it's not necessarily literal. He's obviously missed large chunks out for a start - the book really only covers a couple of periods in his life. And a number of allegations of plagiarism that the internet has levelled at him suggest that this is a story of his life during those periods, rather than an exact word-for-word transcript of those events.

Having accepted these criteria for the autobiography, it's a fascinating book, certainly providing an insight into how he sees his own life, and more interestingly, into his state of mind while making the key album Oh Mercy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chronicles.

02/27/2012 page 25