liberal sprinkles's Reviews > Flavor for Mixed Media: A Feast of Techniques for Texture, Color and Layers

Flavor for Mixed Media by Mary Beth Shaw

F 50x66
The idea of mixing mixed media techniques and cooking recipes is novel but I felt the food imagery needed to be developed more. Other than the use of food terms like "feast for the eyes/senses", "flavor", "what's in your pantry" (suggestions for alternative things to try), "ingredients" (materials), I was often left wondering how the references to food added to the book, even if I appreciated the recipes and thoughts on eating and cooking.

The book is divided into different "courses": color, texture, layers, flavors (styles), combination (mixing supplies, techniques). In short write-ups, author Mary Beth Shaw introduces 15 guest artists then goes on to explore different techniques and create works inspired by them. The techniques and projects featured include 3D painting, collage painting, using text in an abstract way, working with a clayboard and painting without paint. Many I've seen in other art books but the step-by-step instructions here are very clear and extremely well illustrated with photographs. Some of the materials and media used are very interesting although not readily found in most homes, for instance plexi, wood icing and clayboards.

Flavor for Mixed Media is quite a good how-to book although the artistic recipes are not really fresh. I did like Shaw's approachable writing style and how she personalized each project. There are also some useful tips sprinkled throughout the book.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flavor for Mixed Media.