Donna's Reviews > Releasing Gillian's Wolves

Releasing Gillian's Wolves by Tara Woolpy

Oct 02, 2011

bookshelves: first-reads, own
Read from September 30 to October 02, 2011

As prevalent as politics today are rampant with scandal, I am surprised this is one of the few novels I've come across dealing with a crooked and morally bankrupt politician- and he's not even the main character! Our main character is the wife, a long-suffering woman who puts up with her husband's bull for years before finally having had enough, what ensues is the story. While this may seem trite, the subject was handled deftly in ways where I hated who I was supposed to and loved everybody else, but not in a smarmy glad-handing or boring way. I really did come to care for the wholly original cast of characters, and not as predictable as one might expect: Gillian is definitely middle-aged (gives me hope that I still could do something with my life yet, she has a few years on me) and once she hatches from the cocoon of political life she has allowed herself to be trapped in for all the usual reasons (the children, the in-laws, the political platform, etc.) she blossoms into a woman with her own ideas, aspirations and art. This life starting over at fifty seems almost new, authors usually have their protagonists do this at thirty, maybe forty, so I really enjoyed Gillian's new lease on life as well as the direction she took it; her adult children's positive rather than petulant reactions; her friends' lives and their interactions with her (I love the back story on her gay friend- but you'll have to read the book for that- it's worth it just for how unusual that whole dynamic is); and then the prerequisite new love affair (also not completely by rote either!) All in all, I found this outing by Ms Woolpy a breath of fresh air, and I look forward to reading more by this author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Releasing Gillian's Wolves.