Mark's Reviews > The Invention of Air

The Invention of Air by Steven Johnson

Oct 12, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction, biography, science, politics, own-it
Read from September 30 to October 07, 2011

Joseph Priestly will forever be remembered as the man who discovered and isolated oxygen. It turns out that he was not the first to do so, but the first to recognize the importance of his discovery and to publish his results. He was not the one who named the substance either, but still, he gets the credit. However, his greatest achievement, scientifically, took another two hundred years for anyone to fully appreciate. His discovery that plants refreshed the air and kept an animal alive long beyond when it would have expired in a closed system without plants has led to the science of ecosystems, the study of the inter-relatedness of all living creatures on the earth. Yet, he is largely unrecognized for this. He was a true amateur scientist, a theologian of some repute, and great liberal thinker who had a hand in the formation of the ideas upon which the United States was founded. As a friend and confidant of Benjamin Franklin, and later of Thomas Jefferson and John Adams, Priestly had great influence upon those gentlemen and their radical ideas. This book gives one a brief overview of how that all came about and proved to be a fascinating read, as well. And this from one who does not normally read a lot of history, but the science is what attracted me.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Invention of Air.

message 1: by Lori (new)

Lori Interesting. I may have to check this one out. I'm much more of a history reader than a science reader so the history of this intrigues me.

Mark The science is pretty elementary. He was an amateur scientist who pursued what interested him. It was his keen intellect that led him to recognize the implication of what transpired. I think you will find much to hold your interest.