Surin's Reviews > City of Bones

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

Sep 30, 2011

liked it

Note: This is the same review across the first 3 Mortal Instruments books as I reviewed them as a trilogy rather than separate books

Overall the Mortal Instruments series is a really fun and entertaining series but it's as deep as a Hollywood Action flick. It's all pretty much just smoke and mirrors as there's nothing emotionally invested in it.

I would recommend this to anyone who needs a light entertaining read as I had a really good time reading the book (well as good of a time watching stuff like The Expendables or The A Team. Cassandra Clare definitely knows how to pace well, there was never a moment of boredom and everything was zippy lightning fast. She's got an interesting enough plot that will keep you turning the page and wanting to devour the book in a couple of hours. That is her ultimate strength as a writer, the way she trails you along with interesting plot points and twists. Also, she really knows how to write steamy scenes between Jace and Clary and also how to draw the sexual tension. I guess she really knows her audience (teen crowd), what makes them tick and how to write for them.

I couldn't really care much for the characters though, Jace's arrogance really got to me (ok I admit, in the last book I felt a bit more sympathetic towards him) and I was pretty much indifferent to Clary. As for Simon, oh dear lord he annoyed me so much esp after what happens to him in the 2nd half of the book.

However, I really can't take this book seriously and I'll tell you why: growing up I read a lot of manga and watched a lot of anime (I live in Asia, it's the thing to do growing up). It's very clear that Cassandra Clare is an Otaku (person obsessed with Anime and Manga and/or Japanese pop culture). The little cameos she places throughout the book are easily recognizable by Otakus (even Naruto makes a cameo appearance). There's a lot of weird fandom concepts also lingering around like for example an official slash pairing (Magus and Alex) and Jace is quite a dead ringer for the arrogant shoujo manga 'Prince' male stereotype. And also why must the characters fight with Japanese weapons? Really now in this day and age, Japanese weapons like Katanas and Shurikens and Naginatas aren't the most effective against demons (plus how on earth are you going to carry them around without attracting attention?!). Again this all stems from the fact that Cassandra Clare is probably a huge otaku fangirl and couldn't resist putting things like this into her book which makes me (ex otaku fandom geeks yes I admit I was a huge otaku fangirl growing up. Not anymore though) shake my head because I get where these cameos and references are coming from.

Overall, this is a really light zippy and most of all entertaining read. Just ignore all the Otaku references (if you even catch them?) and you'd be fine.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Bones.

Wendy Darling Interesting point about CC being an Otaku, SL--I think she's mentioned that her husband and friend are big into all that.

I agree, it's a fun read. Like you, I'm so-so on Clary, but I do like Jace. :)

Surin Wendy Darling wrote: "Interesting point about CC being an Otaku, SL--I think she's mentioned that her husband and friend are big into all that.

I agree, it's a fun read. Like you, I'm so-so on Clary, but I do like Jac..."

I admit I began to warm up to Jace towards the end but his arrogance in the beginning is so off putting :(

hahahhaha I knew CC was an Otaku! I just had this feeling! I spoke to my friends regarding this (and we're all former reformed Otakus) and we were all complaining about how 'otaku fangirl' MI is. It's really hard to explain the exact examples (for me it's just more of a feeling) and I was literally face palming at every Otaku reference.

I heard the Clockwork series isn't so strewn with Otaku cameos and I really do think her books are really fun so I'm hoping I like that better than MI.

message 3: by Lady Elle (new) - added it

Lady Elle Not that good I presume?

Wendy Darling I like TMI but I love love love Clockwork Angel, SL. It helps if you love the Victorian era or steampunk, though...

message 5: by Surin (last edited Sep 30, 2011 04:00AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Surin Mermer wrote: "Not that good I presume?"

Depends on what you want at the moment, if you just want some popcorn all action entertainment with some nice steamy scenes than TMI would do it for you. It has an interesting enough plot, simple writing (you can easily finish it in a couple of hours) and non stop action. You'd probably be devouring the books in a couple of hours because the plot is interesting enough to keep you going for more.

Wendy Darling wrote: I like TMI but I love love love Clockwork Angel, SL. It helps if you love the Victorian era or steampunk, though...
I love the Victorian era and I absolutely love Steampunk! Wow double win for me. Hmmmm definitely need to get my hands on it.

message 6: by Shy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Shy I really enjoyed this book the first time I read it but seems like it has lost all its charms when I try to re-read it again. Are you thinking of reading book #4?

Surin Shy wrote: "I really enjoyed this book the first time I read it but seems like it has lost all its charms when I try to re-read it again. Are you thinking of reading book #4?"

I really wasnt sure what to expect as book 3 ended things quite well. But in the end I did read the 4th book but didnt enjoy it as much as the first 3. The sexual tension got ridiculous at one point and the plot was a little flat (things happening for no good reason). The only good thing about it was the cliffhanger ending.