Sasha's Reviews > The Gathering Storm

The Gathering Storm by Robin Bridges

Dec 31, 11

bookshelves: random-house, ya-qc-4, historical-fiction, young-adult, 2012-publication, read-in-2011
Read from December 29 to 31, 2011

1888 Russia. Can you imagine it? Snow filled landscapes. Dazzling debutante balls. A royal family. And..a neocromancer?!

That's right, people. Katerina aka Katiya is a necromancer! She brings people (and any other kind of living thing) back from the dead. And she's a duchess. She's strong, she's smart - I loved her. When she involuntarily shows her "talent" in order to save a member of the royal family, trouble ensues in the form of an evil family with plans for her. What will she do?

This was exactly the kind of book I needed to get me back into the mood for paranormal reads. After reading so many, I was feeling like there was a slight lull in creativity; but not here, folks. This was a magical setting - Ms. Bridges was able to take Imperial Russia and immerse me into it. It felt like a totally other worldly place. I loved the fancy balls and the way they call each other by their proper titles (though, yes it was slightly confusing at times). And so many crazy twists and turns.

I can't wait for the second installation in this series. If you're a fan of paranormal reads, you will love this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gathering Storm.

12/29/2011
11.0% "I do feel like I should probably draw a family tree or something. I also feel like maybe I need to brush up on some Russian history too (I don't think loving Disney's Anastasia counts as being knowledgeable.)."
12/30/2011
44.0% "SO MANY PEOPLE - I get so confused. and this is coming from someone whose grandpa is one of 18 kids! (I'm still thoroughly enjoying the book though.)"