Christa's Reviews > Holiday Hideout

Holiday Hideout by Vicki Lewis Thompson

Sep 30, 11

bookshelves: ebook-arc
Read on September 30, 2011

All three stories in this Christmas anthology were sweet and heartwarming, making it a great, light, holiday read. While I enjoyed all three stories, the first two were my favorites. All three stories take place in a cabin on Lake Tahoe.

Vicki Lewis Thompson's contribution to the anthology, The Thanksgiving Fix, brings Beth to the Lake Tahoe cabin to have a secluded holiday away from her matchmaking family. Handyman Mac is called to the cabin by the owners, and he is dreading a holiday fix up the next day at his mother's house. Beth and Mac hit it off and share their woes about famiies who want to marry them off. They agree that neither is looking for marriage, but when their attraction heats up quickly they both start to want more. This story was very sweet, with a fast moving steamy romance.

The Christmas Set-Up by Jill Shalvis has competitive architects Zoe and Jason vying for the same architectural contract and promotion with their company. Jason's little brother sets up a scenario to get Zoe and Jason alone at the Lake Tahoe cabin at Christmas. After a rocky beginning, Zoe and Jason have to decide what to do about their mutual attraction and accompanying feelings. Zoe and Jason were both great characters, and while this romance was very touching, it also had some humor.

The story by Julie Kenner, The New-Year's Deal, features Cleo and Josh, who were involved in a very serious relationship in college. Cleo broke up with Josh when his father died, making him unable to continue on to graduate school with Cleo. When they broke up, Josh talked Cleo into agreeing to meet with him in Lake Tahoe in five years to evaluate their past and see if they have room for one another in their lives. When they see one another at this five year reunion, they still have a strong physical attraction. Josh immediately realizes that he wants a life with Cleo, but she has doubts. Josh has to try to show Cleo that they belong together. I enjoyed this story, but I didn't like the way Cleo, who was supposed to be so in love, broke up with Josh in the beginning of the story when his father dies. She doesn't even consider a long distance relationship with him, and it bothered me that she broke up with him so easily, especially when he was going through a time filled with grief. I had a difficult time getting past this, and it kept me from feeling much empathy towards Cleo. I really liked Josh and enjoyed all but the break up in the beginning.

I really appreciated reading an anthology in which all of the stories were very enjoyable. I liked the storylines, characters, and steamy romances. I received this book as an ARC through Netgalley.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Holiday Hideout.

09/30/2011 page 117