Mike (the Paladin)'s Reviews > Sable

Sable by Mike Grell

Jun 18, 12

bookshelves: action
Read from September 29, 2011 to January 27, 2012

Yes, I gave this one 5 stars. I admit up front that this is an entirely subjective rating and reflects the fact that I really like this book. Are you looking for philosophical questions, a story filled with flowery prose a volume that will appeal to the most picky literary snob?

Well this "ain't" it.

This is pure action brain candy. Don't get me wrong there actually are emotional depths to the protagonist. The character, Jon Sable devastated and shattered goes for a bloody revenge and is almost destroyed by what he has experienced and what he does. We follow him from his life as an African rancher and hunter through his job as a game officer and on. The book is broken into parts that reflect the pieces of Jon's life. Avenger, mercenary, and more, this is a good read. My only regret is that there are no more novelizations of Jon Sable.

Mike Grell is a comic book writer (and artist) and the Sable stories go back to the '80s. There are more modern incarnations of the character in graphic (comic) form and on line. To follow the protagonist's adventures I will have to run those books down and buy them, this action will depend on price and my own solvency.

The book opens as noted in Africa and I suppose that one reason I like these books is that I'm a fan this type tale. From true to life African safari accounts (as in Horn of the Hunter) to the sometimes factual sometimes fictionalized stories of Peter (Hathaway) Capstick. Capstick was "also" a game control officer in Africa and wrote some books about the experience (some factual some reportedly more fictionalized). He also wrote books of collected stories about other professional hunters and of Africa including a detailed account of the Tsavo maneaters. These are the lions depicted in the (again highly fictionalized) movie, The Ghost and the Darkness. I'm also a fan of Robert Ruark. His books and articles of the outdoors and his experiences on safari are remarkable. Grell mentions that his inspiration for the Sable character came from sort of a cross between Flemming's James Bond and Mickey Spillane's Mike Hammer. The parts of the book concerning the African adventures he says were inspired by Capstick.

There is very little about this book that I can complain about and being a firearms enthusiast :) I'm impressed with most of the accuracy in the descriptions of the arms mentioned. Like some details?

No I didn't think so. But if you'd like to discuss it, ask. I'll be happy to write more about that.

As I said, I like this and I suspect most action fans will to. 5 stars and a recommendation.
7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sable.