Anne (Booklady) Molinarolo's Reviews > The Friday Night Knitting Club

The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs

Sep 29, 11

bookshelves: bee-shelf, fall-2011, good-fiction, literary-fiction, permanent-library, womens-fiction
Read in September, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 2

Georgia Walker has fortitude. She has survived growing up in rural Pennsylvania, her best friend's betrayal, an unexpected pregnancy, and the loss of her one true love. She stays in NYC and turns her passion, knitting, into a popular yarn store, Walker and Daughter, with the help of her mentor, Anita. Recent publicity has brought more foot traffic to her shop and a small, eclectic group of women soon form a knitting group in which lasting friendships begin taking shape.

But when the successful and handsome James Foster shows up demanding a prominent role in his daughter's life and the sudden reappearance of Cat in her life, Georgia becomes unnerved. Can she overlook their betrayals? Will Dakota be charmed or harmed by James who has been living and working abroad? Bristling at James' insistence that he has much to teach Dakota about race, Georgia reluctantly acquiesces to his request to be a part of their bi-racial preteen's life just as she accepts Cat's commission: a memorable gown for a very special event.

Slowly drawn to the women's stories of the now official Walker and daughter Friday night knitting club, Georgia finally finds true friendship and discovers she loves these very different women. And she will need each one when an unexpected tragedy delivers a "gut" shot to the club and to Walker and daughter.The Friday Knitting Club:
* Anita: a wealthy seventy-something widow whom is undergoing a sexual re-awakening
* K. C.: Georgia's unemployed, old publishing boss whom decides she'll become an attorney
* Lucie: a cable TV producer whom decides to become a mom by unconventional means
* Peri: Georgia's part-time clerk who has a fledging knit purse line and crush on James
* Derwin: a women's study feminist who is writing her dissertation on knitting
* Dakota: a budding Julia Child-like entrepreneur
* And finally Cat: a nip-tucked palate sculpted wealthy Manhattenite who is discovering her identity

Kate Jacobs weaves a cozy tale of friendship, self discovery, and above all else, love in her debut novel. We knitting aficionados forgive her mistakes during the intersperse knitting tips from Georgia's book, because knitting is more than yarn and technique. Jacobs' characters are well developed and immensely likeable so much so they have stayed with me for days.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Friday Night Knitting Club.

Laura Hi Anne! It looks like based on your review that this would qualify for a few toppler tasks? Unemployed, fresh start, someone taking up a new occupation? Do you think it would work for all of those? I'm considering this as a third toppler book. Downloading the audio now. What say you?

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo Laura wrote: "Hi Anne! It looks like based on your review that this would qualify for a few toppler tasks? Unemployed, fresh start, someone taking up a new occupation? Do you think it would work for all ..."

Yep, I would say all of the above =)

Laura Nice! Thx.

Laura Anne, the description says there are two college students in this one also. So it should work for the college task. I'm determined to read this book lol.

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo Laura wrote: "Anne, the description says there are two college students in this one also. So it should work for the college task. I'm determined to read this book lol."

I really enjoyed it - keep a Kleenex with you toward the end though. Not going to tell you why.

Laura You're the second person to tell me. Thanks for the warning!

message 7: by Anne (Booklady) (last edited Jun 05, 2014 02:53PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo Laura wrote: "You're the second person to tell me. Thanks for the warning!"

The book won't leave you for a while - - it still stays with me. The characters were wonderful. In fact I need to read Knit Two soon.

Laura Let me know how you like it!

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo Laura wrote: "Let me know how you like it!"

Will do =)