Bry's Reviews > A Touch of Night

A Touch of Night by Sarah A. Hoyt

Oct 06, 11

bookshelves: 2011, jane-austen-esque, historical-fiction, urban-fantasy, kindle, rubbish
Read on October 05, 2011

HAHAHAHAHA!!! This book was nbad y'all. Not like I can't read another page it is so stupid and annoying it's bad - but omg this is so bad it's freaking hilarious and I cannot stop reading just because I want to see what else could possibly go wrong in this train wreak! It's like an horrible yet hilarious B grade movie like the The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra or The Blob or something!

First off, the typos. Dear god the typos. A monkey with a typewriter could have typed this better, and the monkey wouldn't even have to worry about using the old English spelling! I am not talking typos like a missing space or its v. it's. I am talking typos like "tour" instead of "your" or my favorite "raMr.od" instead of "ramrod." I mean COME ON!! Are you serious??? And this wasn't like 1 typos per chapter, more like 1 typo per page!! It's as if the author sat down, wrote this all out at once, never reread it, and just posted it to Amazon as a kindle book.

Second, the repetition. Like I said, its like the author wrote it out as a stream of conciousness without ever rereading the book! She repeats scenes, like Mr. Collins realizes at 2 different events (the Merryton assymbly and the Netherfield ball) that Darcy is related to Lady Catherine. She also repeats memorable lines multiple times. Darcy uses the entire line about Elizabeth wishing him gone (when he comes upon her just after finding out about Lydia) 3 times in the book! The same exact line!!!

Finally, the plot itself. I liked the idea of all the different were animals people could be, and that it was hereditary, and could pop up in a family line with no warning, and the law of kill on sight was great because it added a danger. Otherwise though it was cliche and it only made me laugh harder because of course when you shift back from your were animal to your human shape you have to be naked which lead to tons of hilariously awful moments, and made Elizabeth think that Darcy and Bingley were lovers. Becasue come on, if you saw 2 grown men naked together in the rhubarb patch in the garden on a lovely moon lite night, you would think the same thing!

Also, it was as if the author was determined to make this spoof as dramatic as possible and include every possible bad thing that could happen to a chartacter in one work. It was never ending. Each chapter just introduced one more drama for the characters to deal with regardless if it made since to the story or not. Plus she tried to include additional side stories for the secondary characters such as Anne DeBourge, Fitzwilliam, and Georgianna that had no bearing on the main story and in some cases were completely forgotten for 90% of the book (i.e. Georgianna's side story) and was taked on in the very last chapter as a complete side thought.

Yet I couldn't stop reading! It was just that much of a hot mess! LOL!

Seriously, save yourself the trouble of reading this trash unless you are just looking for a total laugh!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Touch of Night.

10/05/2011
15.0% "To even Suggest that Darcy is gay is heart breaking. Sorry boys but he belongs to us girls!"
10/05/2011
38.0% "He's watching her sleep. Totally giving me a creepy Twilight feel. And my god the amount of typos in this book is just sad and annoying."
10/05/2011
100.0% "Good grief what rubbish. But at least it wasnt just bad but was hysterically bad! Review to come!"