Marilag's Reviews > Goliath

Goliath by Scott Westerfeld

Oct 05, 2011

bookshelves: 2011-reads, adventure, historical, scifi, steampunk, war, awwwness
Read from September 29 to October 05, 2011

YES YES YES. God I love this trilogy. So much. I can't even. But to save my poor review from sinking down into a blunderbussy mess of fangirling and more fangirling, I shall just state that yes, the trilogy has ended.

That in itself is sad, and this took me a bit of time to fathom, considering. But it did, and through all three books, I thoroughly enjoyed myself for what Westerfeld splendidly brought into the story.

Leviathan gave the reader the wonderful opportunity to enter this alternate fictional world of WWI and introduced us to the fantastic characters that would involve themselves in various struggles across nations and oceans. Behemoth took two stories and focused them in the involvement of a place, adding more science into the mix (and even more lovable characters). But it's definitely Goliath that gave the trilogy its explosive finish, wrapping all of the plotlines in a neat little bow and handing it to the stunned audience.

New and old characters were introduced. I nearly rolled with pleasure (yes, rolled...I read like a dog lying on its belly waiting for bacon) when even more iconic figures jumped into the fray. Tesla is still my favorite mad scientist of the hour, though the addition of sensational Hearst and the equally sensational-but-rather-absent Pulitzer amused me as much. But it was the old characters that grew, and even the much older ones who learned something from the years of toil keeping certain princes alive. Can't say I was unhappy about Volger. I'm rather glad for the man at the end.

Of course, was there any doubt the end would end as it did? I certainly didn't think so.

I loved the journey, the battles, and the pains and joys the story underwent. I loved the machines, the faux sciences, the Darwinists, the Clankers, the flechette bats, the perspicacious lorises, the stormwalkers, and the marriage of the two conflicting ideas. I loved the culture shock within Britain, Germany, Istanbul, Russia, and Austria-Hungary; and enjoyed the journey across Siberia, to Japan, and even to Mexico and the United States.

Was there any other way I could not love the book?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Goliath.

10/05/2011 page 543

Kayla I agree. To all of this. And more. And the crazy fangirling which was about all I could do when I finished it. It was beautiful. And stuff. I think I'm still fangirling about it. Because obviously I'm not writing coherent sentences and whatnot. Yeah. Amazing.