Mochaspresso 's Reviews > The Handmaid's Tale

Aug 24, 13

bookshelves: dystopian-fiction
Read from August 21 to 24, 2013

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Handmaid's Tale.

08/21/2013 marked as: currently-reading
08/21/2013
14.0% "The different classes of women don't seem to like each other all that much in this society. Their disdain for one another due to their perceived social status probably does more to keep them all oppressed than the men and the religious fundamentalism does."
08/22/2013
20.0% "The doctor's idea of "help" is crazy. When the doctor said he could help her, for a split second, I had hopes that he intended to actually help her escape."
08/22/2013
43.0% "Due to this book's classic status, some will shudder at what I am about to say, but I think I like the contemporary YA dystopians a little bit better. The political ideologies are more profound and better developed in this novel, but the heroines in books like "The Hunger Games" and "Divergent" are actively involved in bringing about a change or a revolution in their societies. Not so with Offred."
08/24/2013
59.0% "She likes her platonic yet still clandestine secret meetings with the Commander. She gets to read and play scrabble and let her hair down. She thinks he "daddyish". Is this really all that different from a woman having a "sugar daddy" in our society?"
08/24/2013
64.0% "The book mentions religious fundamentalism but doesn't fully explain it all. The Sons of Jacob (the Jewish) were given the choice to go to Israel. The Children of Ham (the blacks, I think) were sent to North Dakota to farm. It's also a fake religiousness, too. The bible is locked away and people can't read it. Other religions like Catholics and Quakers are treated as enemies of the state and some are executed."
08/24/2013 marked as: read