gina's Reviews > The Book without Words: A Fable of Medieval Magic

Oct 03, 11

it was ok
bookshelves: fantasy, young-adult, magic
Read from September 29 to October 03, 2011

Characters with confusing motivations. A potentially interesting setting with limited detail. A slow-moving plot that goes almost nowhere. Pages of dialogue that go where the plot goes—nowhere as well. These are the reasons I was so disappointed with The Book without Words.

I would have enjoyed this book if it had delved into the deeper workings of the magic it describes. I might have recommended this book if the characters had compelling stories to tell. I would have put other books by this author on my to-read list if he hadn’t bored me so much with dialogue that babbles endlessly without promoting plot, character, or setting.

This book had a lot of potential, which is probably what makes it most disappointing. I have read several books that take place in medieval settings, and I was looking forward to another angle on this genre. Aspects of this story reminded me of the setting of Inkheart—it would be better to read Inkheart itself.

Here are my recommendations:

If you want to read about the details of casting magic in a fantasy world, read the Harry Potter series or Magic Study.

If you want to read a story that takes place in medieval times, read the Brother Cadfael mystery series.

If you want to read a young adult story with compelling characters, read the Hunger Games trilogy or anything by Neal Shusterman.

Sadly, The Book without Words feels like just that—a book without words. There’s really no reason to read it unless you just want to add another book to your list of “meh.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book without Words.

09/30/2011 page 27

Damianandkathryn Lammers-sagastume I just finished it, and you are right, for the most part. I still enjoyed the story once I got half way into it. I would recommend that you not write off Avi so soon, though. He has better books. I recommend 'Beyond the Western Sea'.

gina Damianandkathryn wrote: "I just finished it, and you are right, for the most part. I still enjoyed the story once I got half way into it. I would recommend that you not write off Avi so soon, though. He has better books. I..."

Thank you for the recommendation! I'll check it out, and I certainly won't judge Avi's books by this one cover.