Janie's Reviews > The Body of Christopher Creed

5206440
Sep 29, 11

bookshelves: issues, high-school-setting, 3-stars
Read in September, 2011

Christopher Creed, the incredibly obnoxious boy who irritates everyone he meets, has gone missing, vanishing completely from the face of the small town of Steepleton, leaving just a cryptic email in his wake.

To Torey Adams, who had nothing really to do with the kid, it’s like a punch in the face when he and his friends hack in to see the email for some laughs and he sees his name. “I wish that I had been born somebody else—Mike Healy, Jose DeSantos, Tony Ide, Evan Lucenti, Torey Adams, Alex Arrington…”While the rest of his friends push it off as nothing, he finds himself resenting their mean taunts, gossip, and general cruelty. This change is not that abrupt, but it happens subtly, as he meets other people, looks beyond his own life and past some of the labels that the school has put on some people, and he finds out that all isn’t as it seems.

I can see why it won Pulitzer Prize... a very good look at, I don't know, human nature, in a more modern setting than say, THE LORD OF THE FLIES, taking place in a modern high school and small town. It's not a gory murder book, wasn't a horror, wasn't an adventure, but, a little more complex. Once again, it's more of a psychological journey, one that happens to the main character. The mysteriousness of the plot, whatever happened to Christopher Creed, I just had to finish it. Not the fastest moving book, but it was well written.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Body of Christopher Creed.