Bonnie's Reviews > Incarceron

Incarceron by Catherine Fisher

Sep 29, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: adventure, audiobook, dystopia, fiction, marriage, mystery, science-fiction, strong-heroine, teen, travel, young-adult
Read from September 08 to 29, 2011 , read count: 1

I'm on the fence with Incarceron. Some things I liked, others I didn't. The scenario is excellent - this description reads like a checklist of all things Bonnie should get excited about in a book - a living, expansive prison, a mythical figure who once escaped, all-powerful keys, a society trapped in time (and a little reminiscent of steampunk), strong heroine solving a mystery and trying to get out of an awful arranged-marriage. Yes, all those things are good. Great, even!

But with all that, I still had a hard time getting into Incarceron. I felt like I was missing bits and pieces about the characters. That's not a great thing to complain about, since the characters are supposed to have an air of mystery to them. Part of the fun of this book is supposing if a character is who we really think they are. But still, I felt that many of the characters weren't well-defined and that they acted oddly. For example, why did Finn feel any sort of attachment to Keiro or the Sapienti (I forget his name)? Events felt a bit disjointed and I had a lot of trouble picturing the world of Incarceron.

And then there was the character of Incarceron itself, which I felt was left out for the most part. I'm wondering if Sapphique will explore the prison in more depth.

Still, for a book I had problems enjoying, I was still riveted by the ending. I'm just wondering if it was worth it to wait through 80% of the book to get to an exciting conclusion - which is also a cliffhanger.

Give this to fans of dystopian futures, lots of adventure (for girls and guys), and maybe steampunk. There's a nice mix of historical setting as well as gritty sci-fi.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Incarceron.