Kathi's Reviews > The Short Victorious War

The Short Victorious War by David Weber

Oct 09, 11

bookshelves: science-fiction
Read from September 29 to October 09, 2011 — I own a copy

A few thoughts... SPOILERS!!

On a "series" level, the change of government in Haven could be a huge factor in where the relationship between Manticore and Haven goes. Since it's that conflict that drives the military action, I will be very interested to see where that leads. And I was more than a little surprised at the success they had in pulling it off! I enjoy the glimpses we get into the Havenite characters, especially those in their space navy who are somewhat removed from the political maneuvering.

On a "character" level, I found it very moving when Honor confronted her past, both admitting with her exec, Mike, that Young had tried to rape her, and when exploring her feelings herself as her relationship with Paul developed. (A side note--I had been lead to believe by an unmarked spoiler that Paul would die in this book, so I was happily surprised when he didn't!)

I was also very glad to see that Vice Admiral Parks was able to see past his prejudice and treat Honor fairly.

And thank you, David Weber, for putting the big techno-info-dump in an appendix at the end. I did read it, but at least it didn't interrupt the flow of the story.

7/10

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Short Victorious War.