Becky's Reviews > Academ's Fury

Academ's Fury by Jim Butcher

Sep 29, 2011

bookshelves: adventure, fantasy, favorites, series, supernatural, creatures
Read from September 29 to October 10, 2011 — I own a copy

Character arc wise, I'd give this a full 5 stars--everything was perfectly awful for the characters right up until they barely scrape their way out in the end.

The ONLY reason I'd give this book one less star is for its opaque question and answer dialogue. Several times throughout the book, I was removed from the story reading through question/answer style info dumps.

But seriously--great book. Great series. I'll be reading the next!

Tavi is one of my all-time favorite characters. He is real. He's got flaws and weaknesses that he tries to overcome and work around. Bad, horrible things happen to him, but he doesn't turn into a dirtbag.

I love that Butcher has embraced romance and sex appeal as viable character plot points and interests. He does them well. Nothing is overly sexy, but it's definitely sexual.

I'll admit, I freaked myself out a little bit after reading about the first real vord encounter. Finding out they're more like parisites that enter humans by their mouths and steal their souls kind of made me rush through my shower and wash my hair with eyes OPEN. Those things are creepy, as are ALL the vord/taken variations. Kudos to Butcher.

Equally as action packed and gory as the first; equally as tense.

I'm very into everyone's secret pasts.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Academ's Fury.