sunset shimmer's Reviews > Throne of Glass

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Oct 09, 14

bookshelves: covergasm, 2012-faves, all-time-faves, heroines-i-adore
Read from October 05 to 09, 2014

First cover: "Yeah, don't I look badass in this? Wait, hold on, does my hair and makeup look okay? I think I need to pose like this, so I look all strong and tough."

Second cover: "Fuck off or I'll end you."

I still stand by my opinions on the covers. I never liked the first cover, and am infinitely grateful that they changed them for the sequels. But as far as how Celaena herself is? I would say she's a bit of both. I feel like these covers portray two very different extremes, and Celaena seemed to possess a quality from each of them. That's actually what I loved about her. She's fast becoming one of my all-time favorite YA heroines.

I'll admit that a long while ago, I hadn't expected the book to be this good. But as soon as I read the prequels, I fell in love, and I definitely have high hopes for this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Throne of Glass.

10/05/2014 marked as: currently-reading
10/05/2014
22.0% "I swear this guy has probably growled like 52 times already. And how the hell do you pronounce Chaol anyway? Is it like Cole? I'm stumped." 8 comments
10/06/2014
38.0% "Me gusta."
10/07/2014
51.0% "See, I love that Celaena isn't a bitch to every female she sees. She's only a bitch to the females who, essentially, are bitches themselves, as she should be. Her friendship with Nehemia is really sweet. I'd noticed this similarly in The Assassin and the Desert too."
10/08/2014
75.0% "Aww, hang in there Chaol ol' buddy ol' pal. *pats*"
10/09/2014
100.0% "This book certainly did a great job of making me absolutely hate every villain in it with a furious, fist-clenching passion. I can only hope that as the series progresses, their heads will roll."
10/09/2014 marked as: read

Lexie When I first saw the cover, I thought it WAS her. And grew very confused.

oceana Her cheekbones are exactly the same. I think it's her. o.o

sunset shimmer Yeah, right? O_O The resemblance is uncanny.

Lisbeth Avery {Domus Libri} It be really cool if it was!

Katie_la_geek It has to be her right? It just has to be, if it is her then I am not sure what I think about that. lol

Mandy ha! It's not her, guys. She's a friend of mine and while her user icon does make the resemblance uncanny, it had actually NEVER occured to me that it looked like her. They did a photoshoot-- it's a model.

sunset shimmer Ah, alright. The resemblance just freaked me out a little lol.

message 8: by Aleeeeeza (new) - added it

Aleeeeeza it looks like an anime cover! and the model looks kind of scary tbh. whereas in the other one she looks like an effing supermodel. booo.

The Literary Bystander (nxlee) Agreed. On the other cover looking much better.

message 10: by MLE (new) - added it

MLE I really like this cover a lot! It's refreshing to see a girl on a cover in such a power, and non-sexual position.

message 11: by Fera (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fera フェルナンダ I want to read it, fufu.. for about two months again eh? :D

sunset shimmer

That one.

message 13: by MLE (new) - added it

MLE I like it a lot!

Adelexo the second one

message 15: by Mel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mel Campbell I won this book and was WAY happy to get the second cover :)

Angelica The second book. Hands down. Looks cool.

What comes to mind when you see:
1)The 1st cover -- Pretty gal playing dress-up
2)The 2nd cover -- Badass assassin (wow there are so many 'ass'es in this sentence)

Joan{missing the vampire bunny slippers!} I don't know, I like them both... :P
The first one is pretty, but the second has more of an edge to it...

message 18: by Airaology (new) - added it

Airaology the first...but the second looks kick ass like valkyrie in skulduggery series..but then again...omaigoodness, it's like apples and oranges

message 19: by Alicia (new) - added it

Alicia I just adore the second cover. But...I just finished this book, and I tend to think the first one is more accurate. I just didn't find her to be all that kick-ass as the second cover suggests. And she most certainly did not have "a heart of ice," in my opinion.

But that second cover, love it!

message 20: by Max (new)

Max second one hands down, first one she looks like she wants to fuck whoever she's looking at, second one theres no question to her intentions, she bout to fuck someone up.

message 21: by Rachel Filer (new) - added it

Rachel Filer I don't mind the first one but I must admit I waited for the paperback just for that (no2) cover! Its just got so much more character.

message 22: by Graham (new)

Graham Bradley Where can I buy it with that second cover? Because the first one has "poser" written all over it. This is a gladiator book, not a beauty contest, amirite?

Caitlin Second cover is the UK/AU edition. No paperback has been announced or cover released to date.

Rachel's Book Reviews Wow, yeah I like the second! It's all about 'assassin' but the first....just..I don't know what it is...it just has a face.

Holly i've got the second!!! its so cool!!!! :D i hate covers with actual people faces on... sort of takes away characters description :D

Nassima Maria the first one

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

LOVE the second cover. Yay, it's the Australian edition. :)

Hayley The second cover is the definite winner; such a better representation of Celaena's badassery in comparison to the first cover.

message 29: by Lily (new) - added it

Lily LMAO Frozen, you kill me. And I agree. Second cover all the way!

message 30: by Christina (new) - added it

Christina Wilder Gods, yes. The second cover forever. So tired of book covers looking like shampoo/makeup/fashion ads.

Skyla I think the first cover suits the book content more as the MC isn't all that bad ass she is a bit of a poser trying to be bad ass to me.

Alma Rhee The second cover is better. Way more edge to it.

message 33: by Alicia (new) - added it

Alicia Skyla (Happy Go Lucky and Lost in Books) wrote: "I think the first cover suits the book content more as the MC isn't all that bad ass she is a bit of a poser trying to be bad ass to me.

If the MC had been really bad ass the second cover would definitely work. I like the second one better knowing nothing of the book but now that I am reading it the first one matches the book better imo."

I agree one-hundred percent, Skyla!

Skyla Alicia wrote: "Skyla (Happy Go Lucky and Lost in Books) wrote: "I think the first cover suits the book content more as the MC isn't all that bad ass she is a bit of a poser trying to be bad ass to me.

If the MC ..."

Kaitlyn The second cover looks cooler but I don't think it captures the feel of the book. I think they should've taken out the girl in the first cover and just let the cover be the glass palace.

Angelica That's hilarious, I though the same thing too. The first looks like she's trying to hard to look good and not hard enough on being...you know...an ASSASSIN like she's supposed to.

Natasha I LOVE the second one!!

Stephanie I never saw the second cover before! Man, that is awesome!

message 39: by Leila (new) - added it

Leila Osman i agree and the first one her eyes are the brightest blue imaginable

message 40: by Alise (new) - added it

Alise Haha yeah, i'm not that scary. Really just a dressed up princess! Cross me, you die!!!!!

Allison Chan yeah. second one makes her look more like a badass assassin :)

Bonnie I'm happy that I find this book with the second cover in bookshop. If I first see the first one I wouldn't buy it :D

message 43: by Pieter (new) - added it

Pieter Van den bossche In the second one she actually looks ALOT like katarina from the game League of Legends

Rachel Oh, the second one by far. She looks like one bad a** mother f*cker :') I hope her character is protrayed as such but I doubt it going by the first cover.

message 45: by Tara (new) - added it

Tara for sure the second one

message 46: by Helen (new) - added it

Helen The second one is way better. Also reminds me of Katarina >_> if anyone knows who i'm referencing to...

ʀᴏᴜx LOL SECOOONNNNDDDD

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

Gurl you know it's gots to be the second

Carolyn I adore these covers so much! Probably my favorite YA covers ever!

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

Love the second.