Franziska's Reviews > Empire

Empire by Orson Scott Card

May 06, 08

bookshelves: fiction
Read in May, 2008

I could not finish the book, and stopped half way through. It gets one star because it wasn't the worst thing a person could read. It was just one of the worst books I've read in a while. I feel like my IQ dropped steadily with each page I read. I haven't read anything else of Card's books, but I think he really should stay away from political themes. It just made me wanna puke. Sure, it's just fiction, but I actually felt Card was sharing his political views in the book just as much as he shared his religious views. The book was trivial, cliche, stereotypical, poorly written and pretty boring. One of the very few books where I didn't care at all to find out how it ends. Usually, I want to know, even if I don't read the whole book or find it rather boring. I'm impressed with those who've read the entire book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Empire.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dave (new) - rated it 1 star

Dave Please do not let this experience scar you forever. Read the Ender's Game saga; especially volume 2 Speaker For the Dead & volume 3 Xenocide. Treat this poor thing as the aberration that is.

message 2: by Terence (new)

Terence Franziska,

I agree with Dave here. Check out some of Card's early stuff like Ender's Game, Hart's Hope or the first books in the Alvin Maker series. They too may have been informed by his religious/political sensibilities but in a good way, not in a hysterically strident, hit-you-over-the-head way.

message 3: by Ben (new) - added it

Ben I give that motion a third. Card was my first favorite author after I read Ender's Game a decade ago. Since then I have been reading through his catalogue. This book is one of the worst possible examples of his talent as an author. This seems to be a book written to sell, a dime-store pulp fiction that will likely be disregarded from any serious consideration of his contribution to American fiction in the future. I highly highly highly recommend giving his earlier, science fiction a chance to impress itself upon you. If you do, you will find a different tone, one more concerned with the nuances of the human struggle with morality, ethics, and power. It is in these philosophical investigations that Card is a more gifted story teller.

Geahk Burchill I honestly don't know what happened to Card. I suspect he had a stroke or an aneurism because Empire reads like Sean Hannity was the ghostwriter. He really was a fantastic writer but Empire is utter garbage.

Michael I was stunned at how terrible this was.