Arlene's Reviews > The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight

bookshelves: cover-pda, ya-contemporary, read-2012, young-adult
Recommended to Arlene by: Street Corner Booker - January Group Read
Read from January 09 to 10, 2012

Rating Clarification: 3.5 Stars

In The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight we get the chance to meet Hadley who is on her way to her father’s wedding in London. After continuous mishaps throughout the day, she finds herself four minutes late to her flight… and four minutes is all it takes to change the course of events for the next twenty four hours.

The title of the book The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight is a bit deceiving when it comes to representing what this story is truly about. It really had nothing at all to do with love at first sight because I can’t say with certainty or conviction that Hadley and Oliver (the main characters in this novel) actually fell in love at first glance when they met by chance at an airport, both on their way to London for separate engagements.

It was more about these two people being at the right place, at the right time to have subsequent events either work for or against their favor, which to me is more about fate. With that being said, can someone please tell me what Oliver was really studying in college because if it really was what he revealed at the end of the story (view spoiler) then the story seems to have fallen apart at the seams at the final hour for me.

As you can tell I’m a bit indifferent about my feelings for this book, which is actually quite disappointing because I was so excited to read this story when I first came across it only to be left rather under-whelmed. There were aspects of the book that I did enjoy, so let me start with that. The initial setting, which took place at a busy airport, was one I can easily embrace because I felt right at home. Then the shift in location, which took us to London, was engaging for me because of my love for reading about stories that take place in Europe. The narrative between Hadley and Oliver was light and charming, and they never seemed to lose my interest which made the story feel quick and constantly forward moving.

However, there was one big element to this story that really had me cringing and scowling for a majority of the book and that had to do with the craptastic parents in this book. Yes, tSPoLaFS reminded me how little tolerance I have for sucky parents. I didn’t care for them in this book at all for several reasons. First, let’s start with the dad. Cheater! Horrible role model and quite selfish. I was actually disappointed in Hadley for letting him off the hook so easily. I wouldn’t be so quick to forgive his betrayal to his family. Boo to him to the tenth degree. Also, I didn’t hold the mom in such high regard either. I don’t understand how she could let Hadley travel to another country without smoothing things out after their recent argument. I was disappointed with how she treated the dentist friend and how she didn’t pick up Hadley’s calls while she was abroad. If my child was traveling I’d have that phone in my hand at the ready. So lesson to both of these parents… you have a bigger responsibility toward your child than you let on so prioritize accordingly.

I do have to give credit to the author for creating two main characters that were able to slightly make up for the lack of parental appeal in this story. However, I think the weight of this book was too big a burden for Hadley and Oliver to carry to make this story a true hit for me. Overall it was engaging and charming to a slight degree, but bordering on forgettable for its lack of character depth and weak secondary cast. Therefore, a generous 3.5 stars, which in all statistical probability it would have been less had I been in a foul mood.
16 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight.

message 1: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Tell me when you start this book. I can't wait to read it. :o)

Arlene I'm starting it on Monday with me book club. So excited about this one. Heard great things about it. I'll let you know how it goes. :)

Wendy Darling You're reading this, too?! It's certainly making the rounds. :) Look forward to seeing what you think!

message 4: by Arlene (last edited Jan 08, 2012 07:21PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Arlene Yes, I'm reading it with a few people in my bookclub. So far, I'm loving it. :)

Giselle Yay! I was starting to think I was the black sheep who loved it haha.

message 6: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica Oooh I look forward to reading your thoughts about this when you finish it :)!!

Limonessa Giselle, I thought I was the black sheep for not liking it! :D

Giselle No way, you have Maja, Alyssa, Bonnie, Emily, that all gave it 3-stars. *sniff*.

Arlene @ Giselle. I'm liking it so far. Actually a lot. LOL

@ Jessica, I'll definitely post a review with my thoughts. :)

@ Lisa. Oh no! I'll go back and read /re-read all of my flist reviews when I'm done. Curious what you thought of it. =}

♥Rachel♥ I liked this too Giselle. So you are the only one. But I did feel like the odd man out too. But I just saw that Tina liked it! Arlene, I can't wait to see what you think. :)

♥Rachel♥ I meant you aren't the only one Giselle. Haha.

Jasprit lovely review Arlene, I felt exactly the same way about Hadley's parents becasue of them I felt I could only give this book 3 stars too! Which is a shame as I was really looking forward to it!

message 13: by Arlene (last edited Jan 10, 2012 09:27AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Arlene Thank you Jasprit. Yes, the parents really played a part in my lowering the rating for this book. They just bothered me too too much. Sorry you didn't find it a hit either. :(

♥Rachel♥ Oh sorry you didn't like this one more Arlene! My heart broke for Hadley because of her Dad, what a selfish loser, so I couldn't agree more about the parents. Great review. :)

Arlene Thanks Rachel. I think it was the parents that left me wanting more from this story. I liked Hadley and Oliver enough, but her parents just bothered me too much.

~Tina~ Great review Sweets!!

Crystal Great review twinie! I felt the same way you did =(

Arlene Thanks Bookers. :)

message 19: by Flannery (new) - added it

Flannery tSPoLaFS <--LOL at that. Great review, Arlene.

Arlene LOL! I got lazy, what can I say? :P Reminds me of when I was once termed 'a lazy reviewer'. I swear if I ever get off my a$$ and start a blog, I'll call it that. :D

message 21: by Flannery (new) - added it

Flannery You can just hop on over to my blog that gets updated about once a month to see what a lazy reviewer looks like:)

Arlene HA! You, my booker friend, are NOT a lazy reviewer. Anyone that paints pictures that tempt me to print and post on my frig is worthy of ribbons and awards IMHO.

Nomes Arlene ~ as always, love your review :)

The parents annoyed me as well. Maybe I would have liked this book if they werent in it (then half the book wuld be gone, LOL.)

Then again, Hudson annoyed me too, she got too whiny at times, or something...

Arlene Awww thank you Nomes! Yes the parents seemed to have been a huge turn off for most of us. Surprisingly Hadley was slightly likable but she did disappoint me with how easily she forgave her father.

Michelle I completely agree - I LOVED the idea of this book (and even its name) but was disappointed with execution.

Arlene Oh me too Michelle. I was hoping for something a little bit better.