Brit West's Reviews > The Perilous Gard

The Perilous Gard by Elizabeth Marie Pope

Sep 29, 2011

Read from September 29 to October 09, 2011

The Perilous Gard takes place in England during the 1550s. Kate Sutton, the main character, and her sister Alicia are ladies in waiting for Princess, future Queen, Elizabeth I, Alicia writes a letter to the queen which inadvertently gets Kate exiled to a castle named Elvenwood Hall, also known as The Perilous Gard. She learns, in her stay there, that the daughter of Sir Geoffrey Heron, the master of the hall, has gone mysteriously missing. She also learns that the local villagers fear the fairy folk who live under the hill, and think they may be kidnapping children. Kate later stumbles into the well kept secret of the underground fairy world; there, she endures many challenges and encounters with the Lady in Green.

Although I really enjoyed this book, it took me a long while to actually get into the book. It was kind of slow at first, and I confused that with not peaking my interest, but as I continued to read it, I found it quite fascinating. I especially loved the character of Kate. I loved how she was such a strong and dynamic character and yet she was so endearing. Her refusal to drugged and manipulated by the Lady in Green, demonstrates the whole, “I would rather die than have you take away one of my only freedoms” theme, which I love, especially in female characters. I enjoyed the elements of faery and romance, I mean, who doesn’t. I really enjoyed this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Perilous Gard.