Mike Philbin's Reviews > Brave New World

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

Aug 07, 09

Recommended to Mike by: Kailleaugh Andersson
Recommended for: consumerists - wake up from your comfortable slumber
Read in May, 2008

the first five chapters of this book (seventy years after its publication) are like looking at today, Sunday the 11th of May 2008. Much more an accurate rendition of soft-Fascist consumerism (Sony, Nike, Mortagage hysteria) and mind control (9/11, the war on terror) than anything Philip K Dick tried to cook up on his bent drug spoon.

and the book continues to be 'amazing' right through Mustapha Mond's sympathetic climactic expose and slightly beyond infamy into the wicked ending.

despair, horror, impotence - these are the real culture shocks to come.

All hail the NEW WORLD ORDER and the neutron bomb frontal assault.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brave New World.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary You've made me want to re-read this book.

Gabriel Of the three main dystopian novels (1984, Brave New World and We), this is actually the one I liked least. All three tell the same story, only with different narrators (1984 was a clerk in the media, Brave New World is an average joe? and We is a mathematician). Of the three, We was written first and my favorite.

[This could be colored by the fact that I read them in the following order: 1984, We, and Brave New World]

message 3: by Mary (new)

Mary Great book I agree.

message 4: by George (new)

George I was disappointed with the ending of Brave New World. I read this after Catcher in the Rye the summer before last while being frustrated that I could not get my second feature film off the ground. I did not like the way the two protagonist simply gave up. This annoyed me but also motivated me not to give up and I began turning one of my feature film scripts into a novel, 'The Fall'. I watch the film 1984 and realised how similar the storyline was to a second project I have on the go. I suppose that unlike the characters in Catch in the Rye and Brave New World, though I see how fragile this world is and how quickly life can be gone, I still refuse to give up, and soldier on. There is always more one can do. Isn't there!

Kristen This book will always hold a special place in my heart... I need to re-read it... it's been so long

Mike Philbin Gabriel wrote: "Of the three main dystopian novels (1984, Brave New World and We), this is actually the one I liked least. All three tell the same story, only with different narrators (1984 was a clerk in the med..."

now I really wanna read WE. Thanks Gabriel.

message 7: by CaliGirlRae (new) - added it

CaliGirlRae Great review! You summarized why this is my fave book. :-)