Darcia Helle's Reviews > Darkness, My Old Friend

Darkness, My Old Friend by Lisa Unger

Oct 03, 11

bookshelves: arcs-vine-reviews, fiction, suspense-thriller-mystery
Read from September 29 to October 02, 2011

I like Lisa Unger's writing style, the flow of her sentences and the way she takes readers into the characters' heads, but I had problems with this book. First, I would not call this a stand-alone read. Darkness, My Old Friend is the follow-up to Fragile, which I did not read. And while many series books can be read as stand-alones, this is not one of them. The first half of the book in particular was frustrating for me because characters kept dwelling on issues and traumatic events in their past but those events were never specifically mentioned. Unger relied on readers to remember these characters and the events from Fragile. Eventually, some of these characters' issues were clarified so the story made more sense, though not all.

This book has several different plotlines running at once, with tenuous threads holding all of the characters and subplots together. Because of this, and possibly because I had not read the first book, I didn't feel a strong connection to any specific characters. The suspense aspect was more psychological than mystery, which requires a better understanding of the characters' background than Unger offered.

Overall, this is a good read that could be made much better by clarifying the background stories. I highly suggest reading Fragile first.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darkness, My Old Friend.