Richard's Reviews > The Postman Always Rings Twice

The Postman Always Rings Twice by James M. Cain

Sep 29, 11

bookshelves: noir
Read in September, 2011

This book has more twists than a jar of licorice.

This book has more twists than a Chubby Checker album.

This book has more twists than a python caught in a Venetian blind cord (??!?!!)

Yes. "The Postman" is a masterwork of plotting, not to mention a nice little piece of hardboiled Noir. The only thing is, I didn't emotionally connect with the characters. Frank is a drifter, which I think is important as he is a distinctly American type. A loner. Isolated. A guy in an Edward Hopper painting, and, as such, he is prone to violence. But when he gets his at the end I don't feel anything for him. Cora is a babe, too, but that's about it. They are tragic and then they die. If they had more redeemable qualities or better intentions perhaps their tragedy would've elicited more pathos.

I saw and liked the 1946 movie, though Hollywood watered down the plot a little. Less sex and violence. Maybe the only time in the history of filmmaking that "questionable content" has been toned down. Also, Lana Turner is a goddess.

Is the 1981 movie version any good?
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Postman Always Rings Twice.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Yuki If I had "discovered" Chandler before reading this, I'm sure I would have been disappointed. In theory I would like to read the entire 1001 book list in chronological order, but that's just crazy.