Allison's Reviews > Insurgent

Insurgent by Veronica Roth

May 29, 12

bookshelves: dystopian, mind-blowing, strong-female-lead, undying-love, ya-teen
Read from May 25 to 28, 2012

I started off being a little apprehensive of this book - I haven't had much luck with sequels lately - but I ended up really enjoying it! The thing that I've decided I love about Roth is how unpredictable her plotting is, which is really refreshing in a genre that, like any other genre, has its formulas. I never knew what was going to happen to Tris and Four next, and I loved that. Also, I think that Roth really nailed the strong/vulnerable heroine in Tris. I think it can be difficult to write a heroine who is capable of violence and yet who is still affected by the consequences of that violence without making her seem either totally desensitized or just totally wimpy and whiny. (See Mocking Jay, the third book in the Hunger Games series, for an example that tends towards the latter). It's a fine line to walk, and I think that Roth walks that line with style. By the end of the book, I was really into Tris' narrative voice again and was enjoying reading about her as a heroine. Finally, I'm SO GLAD that Roth decided not to include a love triangle in this series. OMG am I glad. That is one thing that is being WAAAAAYY overdone in YA. Instead of all the drama that the love triangle creates, we got to focus in on the relationship between Tris and Four and on what happens when the characters are actually IN a relationship instead of just considering it/circling around the idea of it forever. And that let Roth explore all kinds of ambiguity and complex feelings between these two that gave the story and Tris' struggles a lot of depth. So, yay for good sequels!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Insurgent.