Anna (Bobs Her Hair)'s Reviews > Spider’s Revenge

Sep 29, 11

bookshelves: urban-fantasy
Read from September 27 to 28, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Grade: A (4.5 stars)

What an incredibly satisfying conclusion to a story arc! Spider’s Bite, Web of Lies, Venom, Tangled Threads, and the short stories on Jennifer Estep’s website have been building up to an elemental duel between the evil power-hungry Mab Monroe and the orphaned cold-blooded assassin Gin Blanco a.k.a. “the Spider.” The final showdown between these two characters is everything I hoped it would be. No fizzle in this sizzle!

From the beginning, Gin has been preparing to avenge the death of her family. Along the way, she reconnects with her sister, gains allies, acquires a supportive lover, and accesses more of her stone and ice powers. She steadily tracks her enemies, watches for opportunity, and slits their throats. Gin is a credible assassin, whose character never gets on my nerves by making dumbass decisions nor does she ever let her lips tremble nor do her eyes ever look at a man to save her. She’s able to slap herself around, become the Spider, and get a job/kill done.

I absolutely adore her lover, Owen Grayson! He accepts Gin, knives, blood and all. He does not suddenly become her sidekick or go super macho alpha on her. (Gin would slit a super macho alphas throat if he got in her way.) While I would love more Owen in the Elemental Assassin series, I appreciate that he isn’t inserted gratuitously into scenes just to please fans. The author stays focused on the plot. I respect that.

Gin and Bria’s relationship still has some growing pains but they are making headway. So, not fast happily-ever-after, best buds, toenail painting party, Ya-Ya sisterhood, yet. Finn, Gin’s foster brother, has his eye on someone. If you read Tangled Threads, you know who it is. Oh, to be a fly on the wall at Gin’s house. *wink* Sophia Deveraux’s story is finally revealed. It’s sad and, hopefully, her character will feel motivated to let go of her after the events in this story.

Overall, I’m very happy with the ending. I look forward to more Elemental Assassin books and would like to see what other Big Bads are going to arrive in Ashland for Gin to kill. Just to clarify, everything is wrapped up in Spider’s Revenge yet a new can of worms opens up for “the Spider.”
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spider’s Revenge.

Karla Great review. I'm about a quarter of the way through and loving it!

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Yay! I'm really looking forward to the next book. Enjoy!

Karla Incredible review for an incredible book! I loved your review and the book!

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Thanks, Karla! Looks like you also felt the love for Gin vs. Mab. LOL