Heather Bokon's Reviews > The Ritual Bath

The Ritual Bath by Faye Kellerman

Sep 29, 11

Read in September, 2011

I liked the basic story of this book; the characters were well developed, I thought Rina and Peter both were realistic as were their conflicts with their feelings for each other. The crimes being investigated were a little convoluted to me, but only a little. I don't want to say too much, but there were some coincidences that I found a little too coincidental

I wasn't a big fan of the changing POV, but that's a personal preference, not a flaw of the book. I prefer staying in the heads of the main characters, and there were a few times we were in the POV of some minor characters, which I found a little jarring.

My biggest problem with this book is probably with Kellerman's tendency to sprinkle the dialogue with Hebrew terms and not translate them. Most of the time, it's easy enough to figure out, at least generally, what's being said from the context, but there were times that it was still unclear, and there was no translation. I'm all for learning new words, I have no problem with that, but I just feel that if they're in a new language, the author should provide some kind of translation.

She did a great job, however, with explaining a lot of the concepts of the Jewish faith, concepts that I wasn't familiar with. The mikvah and the yeshiva, for example, are concepts that I was only familiar with in the broadest of terms, and Kellerman did a fantastic job of working her explanations of them into the story without it seeming like an info dump. I only wish that she done that with some of the terms, not just the concepts.

I did like this, and I'll probably read more of this series, though not necessarily right away.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ritual Bath.