Adam Koebel's Reviews > Reamde

Reamde by Neal Stephenson

Sep 29, 2011

Read from September 29 to October 09, 2011

I see a lot of the word "accessible" thrown around regarding this book. Comparing it to Anathem, I can definitely see that. Similarly, but less so, something like Snow Crash or The Diamond Age. I can't disagree overall - Stephenson's stuff is usually REALLY niche. This time around, though, the niche feels like a bit of a background element (the MMO stuff) to what's otherwise a pretty straightforward (if a bit meandering) cross-country technothriller. It was good - Stephenson avoids the usual plight of this kind of fiction and made the human beings the characters (vs say, the military hardware or the guns). They're all believable, entertaining and interesting. Which is why I blasted through 1042 pages in less than a week.

Anyway, if the subject material interests you or you want to see Stephenson do something a little different, you'll probably enjoy REAMDE. I did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reamde.

09/29/2011
4.0% "This is, weirdly, the third book directly involving MMOs i have read in the last 18 months or so. So far, it's a kind of rustic For the Win for grown-ups."
10/06/2011
65.0% "It's slid away from being "about" an MMO and is more a kind of technothriller without being as incredibly sucky as "technothrillers" usually are. Pretty solid stuff. I can't put it down."
show 5 hidden updates…