LeAnn's Reviews > Promise

Promise by Kristie Cook

Sep 29, 2011

bookshelves: favorites
Read from September 29 to 30, 2011

** spoiler alert ** This book definitely caught me off guard. I didn't expect to be totally consumed by it and I was pulled in from the first word. I could not put it down until I had read the last sentence, thus losing precious sleep.

This is an epic love story but is written in a whole new way. It has many similar elements to other YA fantasy novels but the author took it one step further and introduced a new world which I had never delved into before. I was introduced to a new "species" of supernatural- soul savers, and soul destroyers, each long time enemies fighting in a battle over mankind, with the main couple caught in between.

The characters were very well developed and I liked how much the main girl's (Alexis) mother Sophia was involved. Most YA novels seem to forget about the parents of the children but Sophia played a major role.

Alexis is a strong, independent woman, who has had to overcome trust issues and feeling comfortable in her own skin. With the help of Tristan, her soul mate, she is able to overcome her inner demons, only to have him snatched away far too soon for her liking (or for the reader).

Tristan (swoon) is every woman's idea of the perfect man, except he too has his inner demons to fight in order to be with Alexis, but his persistance and unwavering loyalty conquers in the end.

I admit, this book made me cry at certain parts, especially the end, and I am so thankful I was able to start reading the sequel immediately after. I can't wait to see how their story ends, and I really hope they have a happy ending.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Promise.

Quotes LeAnn Liked

Kristie Cook
“Oh, I`m sure Tristin will do it" She said casually as she hung the dress back on the hanger. I stared at her in confusion. "Surely he knows how to put a condom."

The visual made my insides squirm with panic.
"I mean the whole thing! All of it!" I cried.
"Oh" She looked at me with surprise and then her expression dissolved into understanding. "Honey, it will all come naturally."

"How do I know what natural is though? How do I know what`s right? What if I do it all wrong?"
She smiled. "The thing about men, Alexis, is they generally don`t find any of it wrong. In fact, usually the more wrong it is, the more they like it.”
Kristie Cook, Promise