Annette's Reviews > Tuesdays with Morrie

Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom

Jun 10, 08

bookshelves: adult, true-stories
Read in June, 2008

I know that this is a really popular book and that a lot of people really like it so, I had high expectations going into it. Although there were some things that I liked about it, as a whole it really didn't do anything for me. It didn't affect me the way that I thought it would. I thought that it would be a tear jerker, that it would arrouse my emotions, but it did'nt do that for me.

Morrie seemed to have life all figured out. He knew that family was important, that material things didn't matter, that growing old was a natural process and that one needn't be ashamed of it. He seemed to have it all together, but there was one vital link missing... God. There was very little mention of his relationship with his maker. I would think that someone who was dying would certainly feel the need to draw closer to the one who created him. Either he didn't feel that it was all that important or the author didn't feel that it was important enough to include that in the story. To me, the story is little more than fluff without that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tuesdays with Morrie.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Brandy Annette, I also didn't think this book was amazing. We read it for bookclub when I lived in Iowa and everyone went on and on about how amazing this book was. Maybe I had too high of expectations going in too, like you. The story didn't move me to tears either. I never pin-pointed why I didn't love it, but your reasoning is a very good insight to why. I can't be sure, because it has been so long since I have read it, but I don't plan on reading it again to find out... it just wasn't that good.

Annette I guess that's why I was so excited to read it, because so many people from the book club said it was this awesome book and I never read it the whole time we lived in Cedar Rapids even though the sisters in the book club read it twice.

I have to admit there were some things that I liked it about though. I do admire the way that Morrie handled his terminal illness. Even though the illness was destrying his body he was determined not to allow it to destroy his spirit. I just think that it could've been so much better, so much more uplifting, if he had included his relationship with God. If the main focus of his thesis was all about how Morrie was able to appreciate the dying process and find joy in his relationships because of his relationship with the Lord or how his religious convictions were strenghthened because of the positive way that he delt with adversity, I would've enjoyed it so much more. But, because it is what it is I will probably forget all about it within a couple of weeks. It's just not a memorable book to me.

message 3: by Louise (last edited Jun 11, 2008 10:07AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Louise Well, I do realize the book could have been better if it included God, but in judging it wholly on his own terms, I felt that it had value. No, it wasn't a tear jerker, but I felt that there was wisdom in the truth it contained. Most of the world doesn't believe the way we do, but I still feel there are nuggets of wisdom out there that we can connect with. I would like to judge the book on his standards, not on mine, moral standards, I mean. Most of Mitch Albom's writing I find to be fluff, but I do think he was showing the world a gentler way to death, something that most people fear. Maybe, because a good friend had recently died, it hit home to me, all the physical ramifications, thought process, and last minute wisdom that hits one in that situation. So, all in all, I felt that it wasn't that bad of a book.

Annette I agree that the book has value, and there are little nuggets of wisdom throughout the book, it just seemed like it was a book full of cliches to me. It wasn't what I had expected. For me personally, I internalize concepts better if someone can SHOW me instead of just telling me. For example, I was much more deeply affected by the book "The Chosen" by, Chaim Potok because he didn't just say "relationships are important" he shows us with this beautifully written story about two unlikely friends and how their relationship develops over time. He shows us how deeply two fathers love their sons even though they have completely different ways of showing it. This is a book that I will always remember and I'm likely to return to again and again.