Kate's Reviews > The Hypnotist

2752027
Oct 01, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011
Read from September 29 to October 01, 2011

I don't know if after reading the Millennium trilogy that I just needed another Swedish thriller to fill that Lisbeth Salander sized hole in my heart, but I scooped The Hypnotist off the library shelf as soon as I saw it. And I was happy to lose myself once again in the cities of Sweden that I can't even begin to pronounce. It's not as good as the Millennium books, there was no Lisbeth to root for, no Blomkvist to doggedly chase the leads down, but the story is still an entertaining one. At the center of the story is Erik Maria Bark, his wife Simone and their young son. 10 years ago, Bark was working on group hypnosis, but his experiment ended badly and he swore he would never use hypnosis again. Detective Joona Linna begs Bark to break his oath, a young boy, Josef, lies in the hospital near death, his family is dead. In order to save his older sister who is still missing, Lin needs Bark to hypnotize Josef. He does, with unforeseeable consequences. Linna's investigation into the murders and Bark's life become entangled, and a lot of the book is action packed. The slower moments focus on the decline of Erik and Simone's relationship. My favorite characters by far was Joona Linna- a very confident investigator, and Simone's ex-police officer father, preferring when the story swung back to their pov. I'm hoping to see more of Linna!

All and all it was a fast paced, edge of your seat read, and a great thriller to kick off October. The subject of hypnotism is not one I'm all that familiar with, and I felt the authors did a great job explaining it. The ending was a little heavy handed with the water foreshadowing, but I'll overlook that since the book surprised me in other areas. Particularly loved Erik and Simone's son's computer password!

1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hypnotist.

09/29/2011 page 54
10/01/2011 page 224
42.0% "So good so far, can't wait to see what happens next!"