Aimee's Reviews > The Wild Rose

The Wild Rose by Jennifer Donnelly

Oct 03, 11

Read from September 29 to October 03, 2011

The Wild Rose is the final book in a trilogy by Jennifer Donnelly. This book is set during World War I and tells the story of Seamus Finnegan and Willa Alden. Seamus and Willa have known each other since they were children. They fall in love, but when Willa has a terrible accident while they are mountain climbing and loses her leg everything falls apart for the couple. Willa will not forgive Seamus for letting the Doctor amputate her leg to save her life. Seamus tries to move on with his life by marrying someone else but Willa returns and they both realize how much they love each other. They both deal with the feelings they have for each other while getting caught up in fighting in the war against Germany.

Jennifer Donnelly is a wonderful story teller. I did not particularly like the main characters in this book and didn't feel much sympathy for them, but I did get swept away in the story that Donnelly tells. She does a wonderful job of showing the effects the war had on England: the suffering of the poor, the decisions the government had to make throughout the war, and the use of spies by the Germans and England. All of this made for a great read.

I did not like the two main characters but there are lots of other characters in this story that are complex and well developed. Max Von Brandt, the German spy, was a very complicated villain that added a lot of suspense and intrigue to the book. Joe and Fiona who I enjoyed reading about in the first book, The Tea Rose, are also a big part of this story and I was glad to read about them and their family again.

I would have to say that this is my least favorite of the three books in this trilogy. The main characters were not as engaging as the ones in the other books. Still, the detailed look at England during World War I, a fascinating look at the spy network, and getting to read about characters from the previous books again made this a book worth reading for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wild Rose.