Anna's Reviews > Heartbreak Creek

Heartbreak Creek by Kaki Warner

Oct 02, 2011

bookshelves: convenience-marrigage, cowboys, historical, humour, romance, widow
Read on October 01, 2011 , read count: 1

I’m sick to death of nail-tough heroines, so when I find one who is a fighter (as accomplished as life lets her) but also a vulnerable human being my heart melts. Edwina, a former southern lady, and now an almost destitute one, has backbone enough to take a very difficult decision and apply for a sturdy-wife-job in order to give a future both to herself and her half-blood sister.

Thought I liked she performed as she was brought up(expecting to being served, shocked when Big Bog expected her to sleep in the wilderness, etc.), I was worried Declan should/would fall in love with her sister (who is beautiful and a hard-worker). In my opinion, the transition from worthless (flowery pot) to hard-worker goes a little too smoothly, and so does the children’s change of heart, but I see that going into detail would make for a much longer book.

On the whole, main characters, especially Edwina but also Declan, are well-drawn, different, compelling, flawed, vulnerable, worthy. The plot is well grounded and spins smoothly and encompasses more than a love relationship. Several interesting characters are presented (the children, Pru, Thomas, Edwina’s friends...).

Favourites’ parts of the book: the travelling to the ranch (how she fares with her fears, the discomforts and her misconception about Big Bob) and how she decides to resolve her bedding fears towards “consummation”. Least favourite part: Pru, I usually like complex characters, but I just couldn’t get the woman (however, is she has a book, I’m going to give her a chance).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heartbreak Creek.

Lisa Kay Loved your review, Anna!

Anna Wow, Lisa Kay, thanks for the compliment! I'm glad you liked it.