June Morris's Reviews > Skulduggery Pleasant

Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy

F 50x66
Sep 29, 2011

Summary: How many 12 year olds own a house? Stephanie Edgley does. When her uncle passes away, Stephanie inherits his house and the problems that come along with it. Her first night staying there, she is attacked. She is saved by Skullduggery Pleasant, who just happens to be a magical skeleton. Stephanie becomes Skullduggery’s sidekick in protecting the magical world from begin taken over by the ‘dark side’.

Personal Reaction: I read the first 2 chapters of this book and then stopped, told my son about the book (he is 12). He seemed interested so I began to read it out loud to him. I read for hours to him. We both really enjoyed this book. I don’t know if it was because of the book, or just spending time together with my son. We are both Harry Potter fans which probably helped. It was quite engaging and entertaining.

Classroom Extension Idea: I would have the student’s think of what they would do if they inherited a house at age 12. Would they move from the town where they grew up? Would they sell the house and keep the money? What about the animosity the rest of the family felt toward her for inheriting a house?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Skulduggery Pleasant.