notgettingenough 's Reviews > Mary Poppins

Mary Poppins by P.L. Travers

Sep 29, 11

bookshelves: haven-t-read-but

Celebrity Deathmatch review in which Mary Poppins is pitted against Pride and Prejudice.

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" is the best word and deserves YOUR vote just for its existence.

Think of what Mary Poppins gave you in your childhood. Well, it's payback time. And, let's face it. If Jane Austen had been able to read Mary Poppins in her childhood, think how much more fun her books would have been.

I rest my case.

12 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mary Poppins.

message 1: by Madeeha (new)

Madeeha I've been reading P&P since I was around 10, and I never read Mary Poppins. But I did watch the movie and I spent a lot of time trying to say supercalifragilisticexpialidocious really fast, so you get my vote :)

notgettingenough Madeeha wrote: "I've been reading P&P since I was around 10, and I never read Mary Poppins. But I did watch the movie and I spent a lot of time trying to say supercalifragilisticexpialidocious really fast, so you ..."

Me too. When I was about six I went to see it and used to belt out the songs in the back yard without ever losing the energy to do so. A bit later a pride possession was a record of the songs with a little book that came with it.

Now tell the truth, did you cut and paste supercalifragalisticexpialidocious? I did! I didn't have the confidence to think it would come to me, but actually now I've sat down and spelt it out and it is so easy!

Now I've been tempted to wiki it...which suggests the word has such a lovely meaning, something I've forgotten, if I ever knew:

"Atoning for educability through delicate beauty."

I see also the word was sued, but it won.

message 3: by Madeeha (last edited Sep 29, 2011 10:08AM) (new)

Madeeha Haha! Guilty as charged! I copy pasted it, although I remember I used to spell it out when I was younger. But I think my confidence in my own spelling has gotten worse ever since spell check came alone.

Hmmm... I never knew supercalifragilisticexpialidocious actually meant something. It's a nice meaning, derived from the words roots
super: above, over, extreme
cali: beauty
fragilistic: delicate
expiali: to atone, to make amends
docious: educable, able to learn
(I just googled it too)

but I wonder how one would ever use it in a sentence as something more than a nonsense word... It would be fun using it in everyday speach. With people saying (not just writing) lol, jk, and all sorts of acronyms, I think unfortunately, the longer words used in common language are eventually just going to dwindle and die.

message 4: by Eric_W (last edited Sep 29, 2011 06:25AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eric_W Your shelves indicate you haven't read Mary Poppins. You should. I loved her when I was a kid and am curious if that sense of wonder carries over into adulthood. She's a fascinating character with a real dark side (if I remember correctly now that I have entered the doddering and drooling phase of life.)

notgettingenough Eric_W wrote: "Your shelves indicate you haven't read Mary Poppins. You should. I loved her when I was a kid and am curious if that sense of wonder carries over into adulthood. She's a fascinating character with..."

Eric, I WILL!! I'd really forgotten how much I loved the movie as a child until we started reminiscing about it recently. If it comes to that, I haven't seen the movie since that one time when it first came out and I'd like to do that again too.

Praj Excellent!!! Mary can kick any damn ass with that umbrella!!

message 7: by notgettingenough (last edited Sep 29, 2011 07:28AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

notgettingenough Bird Brian. You didn't just vote for this review because of your feelings about Mrs B, I hope!!!

message 8: by Manny (last edited Sep 29, 2011 07:13AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Manny Thanks to this masterly review, the match is now tied at a nailbiting 19-19.

Come on, Poppins fans! Voting here is as good as feeding the birds and stepdancing on the roof, both at the same time.

message 9: by Tuck (new)

Tuck jane who?

message 10: by Manny (last edited Sep 29, 2011 08:03AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Manny Tuck wrote: "jane who?"

It's on the tip of my tongue... starts with an A, perhaps?

Mary Poppins has now retaken the lead, though it remains to be seen if she'll manage to keep it for the next seven hours.

notgettingenough Tuck wrote: "jane who?"

Thank you Tuck, that's the spirit.

message 12: by Marvin (new)

Marvin Even though I am tentatively on Team Austen, I have decided not to write a death match for this battle. Mainly because Team Poppins has fought so valiantly and NGE's contribution has won me over.

It may also have something to do with the fact I've yet to read either book.

notgettingenough Hmmm, Paul. Hoping the governessator will trump the nannyator at some point, huh?