Lisette Brodey's Reviews > Arise And Shine, Laments from the Darkness, Songs of the Light

Arise And Shine, Laments from the Darkness, Songs of the Light by Laura Schultz

Sep 29, 2011

bookshelves: poetry
Read from November 01, 2011 to January 18, 2012

Arise and Shine: Laments from the Darkness, Songs of the Light is a collection of stunning poetry by a gifted poet. Schultz’s work is honest, courageous, haunting, provocative, beautiful, and entirely relatable. The first part of the book, “Laments from the Darkness” takes the reader to a very personal place that most of us have visited. While writing of depression, sadness, lost love and so much more, Schultz embraces the darkness while wrapping her arms willingly around the pain. She speaks of truths that plague and define us all.

In “Songs of the Light,” Schultz brings the reader along as she climbs out of the darkness, rediscovering nature’s miracles, letting go, finding love, and rejoicing over tiny bursts of sunlight that were previously unable to be seen or appreciated.

The poet brilliantly explores the themes of darkness and light with glorious imagery and clarity of thought. Complementing Schultz’s words are paintings by Ruth Schultz Rudolf and photographs by Anton Mueller. All combine to make a truly special book. I have already read it multiple times, each time discovering new treasures, as I suspect will be the case with many readers. A true work of art.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Arise And Shine, Laments from the Darkness, Songs of the Light.