Maggie's Reviews > Demian: Die Geschichte von Emil Sinclairs Jugend

Demian by Hermann Hesse

May 05, 08

Read in May, 2008

Ugh. I forced myself to finish this short book and, in the end, felt it wasn't worth the trouble. I picked it up because I loved Siddhartha so much (though it's been years since I read it and now I wonder if it it will hold up). I found Demian terribly melodramatic and over-wrought and I could never really begin to care much about Sinclair and all his angst-ridden inner turmoil. There were a few interesting and lovely passages -- only a couple of times did I feel a thrill of poetry in the language or an inspired idea. Otherwise, I found it completely tedious and disappointing.

If anyone else wants to give it a try, I'd be happy to pass along my paperback copy. Many people seem to adore this book, and I'm sure it will be better appreciated by someone other than me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Demian.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Michael Dipietro I had pretty much the same experience. Loved Siddhartha, hated this one. I felt that much of the "philosophy" here was just floaty mysticism with no substance. By the time I got to the end, the melodrama was making me laugh out loud a bit.

Jose Moch Would you mind reading my review?

Jose Moch WITH THE MERE USE OF MY WILL I WANT AN ATTRACTIVE LOOKING WOMAN FEEL SEXUALLY ATTRACTED TO MEEE!!!