Shelley's Reviews > Dear Genius: The Letters of Ursula Nordstrom

Dear Genius by Ursula Nordstrom

Jun 12, 08

bookshelves: history, literature
Recommended for: Everyone who's ever read and enjoyed a children's book.
Read in June, 2008

This is possibly the best book ever. Ursula Nordstrom was the head editor at Harpers for many decades, and this is a collection of her professional letters to the authors and illustrators we all love. Her letters themselves are fantastic, witty and intelligent and so very interesting. The topics managed to be even better - I loved seeing her editing in action, and seeing how she shaped all those books into their final versions. Not to mention getting to "know" all of the authors and illustrators, most of whom I only knew their names and work. Simply wonderful.

My only complaints were skipping the years 1976-1980, and the fact that it ended. How are Rory, Jen and I the only ones at work who've read this? And only Susann on my GR list? If ever was a book that everyone on my list here would agree on, it's this.

It also made me miss all of my letter and e-mail correspondence that I used to have, especially with Krissy. Blogging has replaced that, but it's not the same. Anyone up for letter writing? *g*
6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dear Genius.

Susann Oh I'm so glad you loved it! It really is a treasure. I may have to write Marcus a fan letter. (I thought I would be able to see him at a May event in NYC, but it didn't work out - grrrr.)

message 2: by Trin (new)

Trin It’s surely more serious, but this makes me think you would like Max Perkins: Editor of Genius by A. Scott Berg. It’s a wonderful bio of Perkins, who was Fitzgerald’s, Hemingway’s, and Thomas Wolfe’s editor (among others) at Scribner’s. And meanwhile, I’ll be looking for this book!

Shelley Oh, that sounds good! I've added it to my list to track it down, thanks.