Caley's Reviews > The Weight of Water

The Weight of Water by Anita Shreve

Oct 05, 11

Read from September 28 to October 05, 2011

Definitely an evocative novel, the grimness of the Northeastern Atlantic was all there and the fated relationship between the main couple was clear from Shreve's nuanced description of their day-to-day interactions. Unfortunately, that's really the only strong point of this novel. Minus these poignant descriptions, the rest of the plot was unnecessarily drawn out to supposedly create some sort of suspense that falls terribly flat. This is not a "whodunnit" tale and only a inattentive reader could have missed Shreve's over-the-top narrative cues. What's worse, the book abruptly concludes, but not without several lame one-liners like "the weight of her story was too much and "what was he to do with all the memories?" Gross. On top of these narrative cliches, Shreve attempts to mimic the voice of a 19th century female immigrant which usually ends up with her masterminding convoluted sentences like this one:

"I will add, however, that the unfortunate result of these private talks between my mother and brother was that I was hard-pressed to disbelieve the notion that of the two of us, Evan was the more greatly-loved, and in some way I could not articulate or account for, the more deserving of this love, and thus my own affection for my brother was not compromised but rather enhanced by the exclusionary affection of which I was so desperately wanted to be a part."

Uhm, what?

Sad thing is I probably would have loved this book six years ago. I can see its appeal amongst an audience of bored middle-aged women looking for a "romantic" read. No thanks. 3 stars.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Weight of Water.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Serena (new)

Serena so six years ago you were a bored middle-aged woman looking for some literary romance? :-)

message 2: by Serena (new)

Serena I love your reviews by the way, you should think about it as a serious profession.

Caley haha, YES i was poodz