Simone's Reviews > A Brief History of Neoliberalism

A Brief History of Neoliberalism by David Harvey

Sep 28, 2011

bookshelves: 2011-read, grad-school
Read from September 01 to 15, 2011

Ok, let me be honest. Would I have read this book if it hadn't been assigned for class? Maybe? But probably not. That being said, I am really glad I took this class and I'm glad she us start with this book. I wouldn't have been able to articulate neoliberalism before this book. Harvey deftly traces the history and emergence of neoliberal policies, mainly the privatization of industry, the opening of the market, and the financialization / globalization.

"It has been part of the genius of neoliberal theory to provide a benevolent mask full of wonderful-sounding words like freedom, liberty, choice and rights, to hide the grim realties of the restoration or reconstitution of naked class power, locally as well as transnationally, but most particularly in the main financial centers of global capitalism." - David Harvey

Harvey is an anthropologist by trade and not an economist. So this is a really readable account of a complex history. If you wonder why unemployment is high and no one seems to care, or why the government is willing to bail out banks but not help home-owners, this book will help you see how these policies work in a larger framework.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Brief History of Neoliberalism.

06/02/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Saptarshi (new) - added it

Saptarshi what class did you read it in?

Simone oh, i guess i forgot to update my profile, i read it for a class on neoliberalism and film, but at another university.