Luke Loertscher's Reviews > Furies of Calderon

Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher

M 50x66
Sep 28, 11

Read in September, 2011

I had very little invested into this book right from the start. I haven't read the Dresden Files yet, so this is my first Jim Butcher book. However, I've been in the mood for some high fantasy lately (Having finished playing TES: Morrowind before I started this book) and this book absolutely satisfies.

Thankfully, this series avoids elves, dwarves, or other fantasy-fodder. Instead, it has it's own unique set of races and species', and an interesting magic system. This magic system involves spirits known as furies, that bind themselves to humans. Each of these furies are able to control one of six elements: Fire, Water, Earth, Air, Plant, and Metal. These furies usually attach themselves to humans that have attributes similar to their elements (someone who is swift will usually have an air fury, stronger more brawny people might control an earth fury, etc.) These furies have more interesting effects that just simply being able to manipulate that element though. A watercrafter is able to use their fury to heal others, earthcrafters are able to calm and even invoke lust into their subjects. This adds another layer to the magic system in the book, and even after having read the first book, I feel there is a lot more for me to learn about furies.

There are also different races in the world of Alera, though only one was covered in Furies of Calderon: The Marat. I though the Marat people were the most interesting part of the book for me. They are wildmen and women of calderon, all of which have very pale skin and pale hair. They are portrayed as being savages, and they are quite savage. Having been driven from the land 15 years before our main character was born, they are very mysterious to the reader at first.

I suppose that's enough about the setting, though.

The story uses a third person perspective, and follows the story of several characters: Amara, Fedelias, Isana, and Tavi. Though each of these characters play an important role in the story, Tavi is clearly the main character. Tavi is a valleyboy, raised as a goatherder, and despite his older age, he has yet to have had a fury bind to him. In this world where people can do amazing things with the magic of their furies, Tavi is left powerless. He makes up for this disability in wits and can run very well, too. After having made a mistake, he accidentally let loose the sheep he was supposed to be caring for, and he and his uncle Bernard set out to recover the lost flock. Of course, things go awry, and Tavi becomes separated from his Uncle after some unfortunate happenings.

Right off the bat, the story has a major plot twist, and does a good job at immersing the reader. All of the characters are interesting enough, and do a good job at avoiding huge cliches. But I think the place where this novel absolutely shines is during the action sequences. You will become absolutely glued to the pages, and the paper will fly by.

Overall, I am very pleased with this book. I had few expectations, and was surprised by how well written it was. Now, off to read Acedem's Fury!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Furies of Calderon.