Elaine's Reviews > Hannibal Rising

Hannibal Rising by Thomas Harris

F_50x66
Sep 28, 11

Read in September, 2011

I just re-read this novel and ended up adding a star. The best way to approach this novel is as a stand-alone. Pretend you never read any of the other books or saw the movies. You never heard of Clarice Starling. Now, start all over and read this for the delicately crafted characterizations and storyline. Hannibal Lecter is no longer an overworked, over-the-top villain that fans love to hate. He's now a three-dimensional and very human young man who must find his way in post-war Europe. He survives a horrific episode in childhood and traverses "the bridge of dreams" into adulthood where he consciously rejects powerlessness. Even in the face of his first true love, he keeps his resolve. I enjoyed getting to know this young Hannibal Lecter, seeing him in a rare moment of looking "scruffy." I am sure to re-read Thomas Harris' other Hannibal Lecter books and value the opportunity to peer beneath the doctor's seasoned veneer to the youth who guards his secrets.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hannibal Rising.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Geraldine I must praise you for giving such honest review and a good tip on how to appreciate the novel Hannibal Rising. I really like this book and I'm seriously wondering why some people didn't appreciate it the way they appreciate the previous books. I think they just didn't get the whole point of the prequel. Some have harsh review saying it was lame, gay, etc. and Hannibal's evil character in the previous books was gone. Hannibal Rising is only just about the origins of Hannibal's evil. Why he had turned out into a monster. And I think, revenge is not the only basis of his cruelty because Hannibal has a disturbed mind, he was traumatized, it affected his sanity. His first murders as a young child/man were all rooted from revenge, but as he grows old, his bloodlust becomes stronger too. Thomas Harris didn't have to put it into words to establish connection, but thinking readers can assume that that is the case.

Elaine Geraldine wrote: "I must praise you for giving such honest review and a good tip on how to appreciate the novel Hannibal Rising. I really like this book and I'm seriously wondering why some people didn't appreciate ..."

Thanks! I'm wondering if the ABC series Hannibal, with its over-the-top gruesome effects and Northern European star, will spark renewed interest in this prequel.

message 3: by Miguel (new)

Miguel Alonso Nbc and yes it has

message 4: by Elaine (last edited May 22, 2014 08:14PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Elaine NBC, I stand corrected. Due to the timeline, I'm wondering how they'll frame it in the series. Hannibal as portrayed by Mads Mikkelsen has only made the briefest mention (in a conversation with Will Graham, he mentioned his sister Mischa, but that was it so far). The post-WW2 setting obviously won't work, so I'm thinking the writers may use the Balkan conflicts of the 1990s. Now that we have (woot!) a Season 3 to look forward to.