Ezmirelda's Reviews > Half-Blood

Half-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Dec 04, 13

bookshelves: unoriginal
Read in September, 2011

SPOILER ALERT **THERE ARE SPOILERS FOR BOTH VAMPIRE ACADEMY (the whole series) AND HALF BLOOD BELOW***

Similarities Between Half-Blood and Vampire Academy

EVERY. SINGLE. THING.

*CAUTION* if you're looking for originality this is not the book for you.

It's like the author just took Vampire Academy and changed all the names. The only character missing from this story is Lissa. Read below for details

*EDIT* Apparently Lissa is in this book as well. You know the connection that Rose and Lisa have that allows them to experience each other's feelings and hear thoughts? It's the same as the connection between Alex and Seth in Half-Blood. So Seth is actually playing the part of Lissa. :/

Here's our "cast":

Alex AKA Rose Hathaway

Aidan AKA Dimitri

Deacon/Seth AKA Adrian
* Deacon (HB) and Adrian (VA) both have drinking problems*

Caleb AKA Mason

Lea AKA Mia ....gosh their names even rhyme -__-
In the Vampire Academy Mia's mother dies due to Strigoi attacks, in Half Blood Lea's parent dies due to Daimon attacks. They are also both the mean-girl antagonist of the story who turn out not to hate each other towards the end. Seriously? Could this be even more obvious that this is a rip-off without stealing such a minuscule detail from the story?

Terms:

HALF-BLOOD - Basically the same thing as DHAMPIRS

PURE-BLOOD - Basically the same thing as MOROI (notice that they both "coincidently" have the same ability to control the elements and not the Half-bloods/dhampirs)

DAIMONS - Basically the SAME thing as STRIGOI

Other similarities:

In Vampire Academy Rose escapes from the Academy/ school for vampires with Lisa
In Half-Blood Alex escapes the academy with her mother

In Vampire Academy Rose goes to visit Dimitri at his house and they almost go all the way (In that scene Dimitri talks in Russian)
In Half-Blood Alex goes to Aidan's cabin and they almost go all the way (In that scene Aiden talks in Greek)

In Vampire Academy Rose is distraught when Dimitri gets turned into a Strigoi
In Half-Blood Alex is distraught when her mother turns into a Diamon

The structures of the school and the society. THE EXACT SAME THING.
In VA there are Dhampir and Moroi vampires - Dhampir = half-blooded, Morio- pure blooded
Dhampirs in VA are meant to protect and cater to the needs of Moroi
In Halfs-Blood, Halfs are expected to cater to the needs of PURES. Halfs are considered below the pures. Same for VA.

In Half-Blood HALFS train in combat to Protect people from Diamons
In Vampire Academy DHAMPIRS train in Combat to protect people from Strigoi.

The similarities are endless. Bottom line--this story was a complete rip-off of VA. Coincidence? I think not. The story follows the plot way too closely. It's impossible not to miss.

Good news? I loved the author's voice/style and Alex's characters. Why? Because they're the only thing about this story that's even remotely ORIGINAL. I have a strong dislike for books that are rip-offs of other books (rip-off isn't even the correct word for this book--more like half-stolen) but I enjoyed the story nonetheless--mostly because I missed VA and this story was basically a re-write of it. Towards the end the author surprises us by using some of her own ideas. I hope she continues with that in the next book.

UPDATE: 11/13/11

EX. OF SIMILAR DIALOGUE:
“You will lose what you value most, so treasure it while you can.”
― Richelle Mead, Shadow Kiss

-__- Doesn't the witch lady from Half-Blood say the EXACT SAME THING? I didn't even notice this till today but seriously I'm speechless? There's also A LOT more copies of dialogue during the Alex/Rose and Dimitri/Aiden moments.

I try to never compare books to each other. I actually find it kind of annoying. But this book isn't just similar, it's been copied to the point where I got confused over whether I was reading Half-Blood or Vampire Academy. Whole plots/characters/scenes/ and dialogue have been copied. And no I will not convince myself to give this author credit for stealing from VA just because she wrote a novel.

- - - - - - -

So I went on to read the second book, hoping the rumors were true that the it was completely vampire-academy-less. So not true! But I admit that she did try harder to use original ideas than she did in the first book. Here's my review of PURE:

348 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Half-Blood.

message 1: by Ezmirelda (last edited Oct 06, 2011 07:25PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ezmirelda ARGH! -_-
If this story actually had characters/settings/plot that were original/not stolen this book could have been amazing. I'd be fine if it was just a couple similarites. But EVERY THING. That's just pushing it. I don't know why the author felt the need to do it though, her writing was SO good.

Emily May Great review! I've had people practically begging me to read this against my better judgement... at least if I do decide to read it, my hopes won't be too high :)

Ezmirelda Paige wrote: "It looks like my instincts were right on the money. I was already asking myself why it sounded familiar from reading the description. I am still a little curious, but two characters and a good voic..."

Thank you! You must have very good instincts. When I read the summary I was expecting an original take on mythology. Imagine my dissapoitment when I discovered the Gods and Goddesses were barely even mentioned.

Ezmirelda Emily wrote: "Great review! I've had people practically begging me to read this against my better judgement... at least if I do decide to read it, my hopes won't be too high :)"

Books that generate a lot of hype usually tend to be like that. But occasionally I'm surprised and really like the book. This book wasn't one of those occasions for me.

message 5: by Holly (new)

Holly thanks for letting us all know how much this story is like v.a. It would have made me mad once I started reading, which now I won't bother doing. I hate unoriginal authors.

Ezmirelda Holly wrote: "thanks for letting us all know how much this story is like v.a. It would have made me mad once I started reading, which now I won't bother doing. I hate unoriginal authors."

I can't stand unoriginality either.
I wonder how the author of VA would feel if she ever came across this book? :[ If it were me I'd be completely ticked off that someone was getting paid/getting credit for stealing my ideas.

message 7: by Blackbery (new)

Blackbery ahhhhhhhhh this is so annoying and i have have just read about the first two pages and even the start is the same it better not all be like this!!!!!!

Ezmirelda Blackbery wrote: "ahhhhhhhhh this is so annoying and i have have just read about the first two pages and even the start is the same it better not all be like this!!!!!!"

Sorry to tell you but it gets even worse. I actually thought the beginning was just a coincidence, but once she gets to the school it becomes even more obvious and by the middle of the book you'll feel like you've just read Vampire Academy all over again. :/

Sunnykimmy I agree, there are a LOT of similarities, but as the story progresses it becomes less obvious. And I enjoyed the story once I got past the first part that was obviously similar to the VA.

message 10: by Ezmirelda (last edited Oct 17, 2011 04:07PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ezmirelda Sunnykimmy wrote: "I agree, there are a LOT of similarities, but as the story progresses it becomes less obvious. And I enjoyed the story once I got past the first part that was obviously similar to the VA."

Yeah, I enjoyed it a lot too. :) The book overall was really entertaining, but it was the part that was obvious that caused me to dislike it. Mostly because it was all stolen work, and I'm not a fan of stealers especially in the case where the stealer is getting paid to steal. Just doesn't seem right, you know? The last part redeemed it a bit, thus my 3 stars vs. the 1 I intended to give this.

Sunnykimmy Yeah I actually almost put it down,I was that annoyed, but I had a feeling it would get better. And I was right. And no, it isn't right to get paid for stealing someone else's work, but I feel like Jennifer Armentrout almost reinvented the Va, like she wanted to correct what was wrong in the VA. It doesn't justify it but that's the only way I can explain it. And as long as Pure isn't too much like the VA, I'll be okay. So I'm definitely waiting for it.

Ezmirelda Sunnykimmy wrote: "Yeah I actually almost put it down,I was that annoyed, but I had a feeling it would get better. And I was right. And no, it isn't right to get paid for stealing someone else's work, but I feel like..."

I didn't really think about it as correcting VA. I thought about it more as the parts that she came up with herself (which I enjoyed). And that's really what I'm looking for when I open a book. It doesn't have to be entirely original (all plots in fiction have already been done)but something you could tell the author really tried to make their own. I'm looking forward to it to as well! :) The love-triangle will be interesting to watch.

Sunnykimmy I wasn't talking about the part that I actually enjoyed(the last part). I was talking about the part obviously similar to the VA. That maybe she thought she was correcting what was done wrong in the VA. Unfortunately for her, not a lot was done wrong,so there wasn't much to correct.

And yes I'm also looking for originality when reading a book. And even though the same types of worlds and characters keep popping up(such as the vamps and weres)I think there is always a different way to write them, so I get what you mean.

And I'm very interested in the love triangle as well. It will be interesting to see how Alex and Seth handle their "situation". :)

message 14: by Lisa (new)

Lisa so glad you wrote this review! seeing as how i lovedddd vampire academy, i surely wouldn't want to read a replica. thanks for saving my time =)

message 15: by Maia (new)

Maia from what youve written it does sound remarkably similar but i will say that this author probably didnt intentionally 'steal' the plot line. i mean it takes a lot of time and commitment to write a book and im guessing the author didnt just see Richelle Meads and say i might as well spend months writing a book just like hers that may never be published...you cant judge this book compared to another thats similar. that said i havent read this yet. maybe your right but i think cut the author a little slack. if she has a great writing style and can tell a fantastic story then isnt that the point of a great book?

message 16: by Ezmirelda (last edited Nov 06, 2011 06:07AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ezmirelda Maia wrote: "from what youve written it does sound remarkably similar but i will say that this author probably didnt intentionally 'steal' the plot line. i mean it takes a lot of time and commitment to write a ..."

I would never say that someone intentionally stole another author's plot line unless I honestly thought that they did. I believe that plots have been done so many times over that it's highly possible to see them again. You have to read the book to get what I mean about the similarities. It copies VA in some places even down to the dialogue.I'm sure if you asked the author if she copied from VA there's a 99% chance she'd say yes. When you say to cut her some "slack" I did. I say more than once how much I liked her writing and there's 3 stars there. To answer your last question yes and no. Yes, she has a great writing style. No to the part about a 'fantastic story' because the majority of it wasn't HER story, it was someone else's--so I can't really give her credit for it. And yes, I believe I can judge a book "compared to another that's similar". In fact, many people judge books on originality. Originality is a major factor for me when reading a book. An author can take the most over-done plotline and make it original if he/she tried. This book makes absolutely no attempt at it until the last quarter of the book. Many people judge books on originality. Why exactly can't I?

Elena Exactly! I mean, I was reading it and I was like 'should I laugh or should I cry'. I was conflicted between the fact that this book totally was a copy of another book, or the fact that the author decided to make it so much like my favorite YA series. Anyways, I can't help it--I liked it. It was so much like VA, but.. I love VA. so yeah.

However, where you placed Deacon was Adrian, I'd put Seth. Not for the drinking thing, but because it's just.. the Adrian of the book. The one who starts caring about Alex aka Rose even though in the end she'll be with Aiden. Or maybe that's just me.

message 18: by Ezmirelda (last edited Nov 06, 2011 06:04AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ezmirelda Elena wrote: "Exactly! I mean, I was reading it and I was like 'should I laugh or should I cry'. I was conflicted between the fact that this book totally was a copy of another book, or the fact that the author d..."

I agree that Adrian could be Seth. I was really conflicted when I read this as well. It was like I thought it was great because it reminded me of VA but then it made me feel awful at the same time. I liked the end so much better than the beginning and middle because that's when the author actually uses her own ideas. It was a nice change. I hope she continues with it in the next book. :)

message 19: by vampz (new) - added it

vampz i love your review. after your review i wanted to read the book because i love vampire academy and i love rose aka alex.

Ezmirelda vampz wrote: "i love your review. after your review i wanted to read the book because i love vampire academy and i love rose aka alex."

I love Rose too! I'm sure you'll like this one because they're really alike, although I lthink I liked Rose a bit better.

Ezmirelda Eva wrote: "The tattoos on the skin also reminded me of Mortal Instruments and the "sentinel" part reminded me of the Chicagoland Vampires series. Hmmm... Armentrout's read too many YA books."

Oh god. There's more books she took ideas from?
-__- Someone told me that since this book was published through a small publishing company that they didn't notice all these similarities.

Ezmirelda “You will lose what you value most, so treasure it while you can.”

― Richelle Mead, Shadow Kiss

-__- Doesn't the witch lady from Half-Blood say the EXACT SAME THING?

Ezmirelda I found this comment from the author of Half-Blood: So it’s very flattering to see those comparisons. My only concern is if people read the Covenant Series hoping it will be just like the VA series, they’ll going to ultimately be disappointed, because it is very, very different once you get passed the first couple of chapters and also when you get to the sequel and going further.

She basically admits the "first couple of chapters" are similar to VA, and she's flattered by the comparison.

Cassandra You took the words right out of my mouth. It's almost like the author copied and pasted from VA and just changed the names and some of the situations.

message 25: by Zara (new)

Zara Kassman Good ! it wasn't just me ! I kept reading, hoping that something would change, but I had to keep reminding myself that it wasn't a book about dhampirs. Disappointed.

message 26: by Nick (new) - added it

Nick I totally agree with you.
The plot is a complete rip-off of the Vampire Academy, but I still enjoyed it. *Feeling totally guilty

I wonder though, didn't anyone question the author ?

Ezmirelda Nick93 wrote: "I totally agree with you.

I wonder though, didn't anyone question the author ?"

Yeah, this is what she said:

"So it’s very flattering to see those comparisons. My only concern is if people read the Covenant Series hoping it will be just like the VA series, they’ll going to ultimately be disappointed, because it is very, very different once you get passed the first couple of chapters and also when you get to the sequel and going further."

Mariela I'm on chapter 7 and and all I've read so far is just like VA.

Ezmirelda Mariela wrote: "I'm on chapter 7 and and all I've read so far is just like VA."

Exactly. And she makes it SO obvious. There is no way that Half-Blood wasn't copied. :/

message 30: by Mada (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mada Yep, if I had tried to write a rewiev it would be simmilar. The fact remains that Dimka and Roza's story is finished. Their fans need someone to take their plkace and give them new adventures. Here comes Aiden and Alex. I just hope that next stories will drift away from VA plot.

Ezmirelda Mada wrote: "Yep, if I had tried to write a rewiev it would be simmilar. The fact remains that Dimka and Roza's story is finished. Their fans need someone to take their plkace and give them new adventures. Here..."

Yeah, I hope so too. The author says that the next few books will be a lot different from VA.

Mariela Did she also say why they was a lot alike with VA?????

Ezmirelda Mariela wrote: "Did she also say why they was a lot alike with VA?????"

The author says that the similarities are a coincidence. :/ But she's also said that she's read all the VA books. I can see how that might've influenced her writing subconsciously. But if you're real curious about it you should try emailing her.

message 34: by Mada (last edited Jan 03, 2012 02:00PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mada interwiev here holds an answer to your question, Mariela

Mariela Ezmirelda wrote: "Mariela wrote: "Did she also say why they was a lot alike with VA?????"

Thanks !!! I will ask her. I hope she does not take it wrong. I do not think it is just coincidence. I mean , a LOT of things were just LIKE VA.

Mariela Mada wrote: "interwiev here holds an answer to your question, Mariela"

The link does not work but thanks anyway, Mada!

message 37: by Mada (last edited Jan 03, 2012 02:09PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mada Sorry, double http. Now it works. I also included answer in my review here

Ezmirelda Mada wrote: "Sorry, double http. Now it works. I also included answer in my review here"

Thanks Mada! :) Yup, that was her response to the similarities. Still seems kinda iffy to mean. Even during the editing stage you can do a lot of changes to the story.

Mariela I asked her, she answered me, but still it is too much extreme coincidence.

Ezmirelda Mariela wrote: "I asked her, she answered me, but still it is too much extreme coincidence."

Extreme is an understatement. I only posted a small portion of the similarities I found in this review. If I had written any more it would have been pages long. And it wasn't like I was looking for similarities because I honestly hate comparing books to each other.

Once it got to the dialogue being copied almost word for word I couldn't shake the feeling that HB was a rip off of VA.

So what did she say to you? :)

message 41: by Baby (new) - rated it 4 stars

Baby I thought only me noticed that, it was good to get rose back in a reincarnated sorta way

Ezmirelda Ki3ran wrote: "I thought only me noticed that, it was good to get rose back in a reincarnated sorta way"

Lol, I know. But I think I liked Rose way better than Alex. ;)

Mariela Ezmirelda wrote: "Ki3ran wrote: "I thought only me noticed that, it was good to get rose back in a reincarnated sorta way"

Lol, I know. But I think I liked Rose way better than Alex. ;)"

Yeah, Rose is awesome!

Vespi Yikes, it seems 90% of the reviews, even the 4 and 5 stars see the likeness to Vampire Academy. I decided post my review from Amazon.com here when I thought I'd check out what others here thought. It me so uncomfortable to have read this book and be privvy to the fact it could very easily be classified as plagarised *gulp*.

message 45: by Liz (new) - rated it 2 stars

Liz You are soooo right ! It is a total rip-off !! Though I do like the charakters ^^

Kendra its not even really missing Lisa. she has a connection with Seth. Its practically the same thing.

Mariela Kendra wrote: "its not even really missing Lisa. she has a connection with Seth. Its practically the same thing."
That is what I was thinking yesterday!

Kendra Also I might be wrong here but wasn't Rose obsessed with the knives and all that stuff just like Alex is in this one.

Ezmirelda Kendra wrote: "its not even really missing Lisa. she has a connection with Seth. Its practically the same thing."

OHMYGOSH. I didn't even see that. Of course! The connection. Just when I think there's one thing Jennifer hadn't stolen from the VA series it pops up. This story is just plain-ridiculous. It's like she's not even trying to hide that she's copying. :(

Ezmirelda Kendra wrote: "Also I might be wrong here but wasn't Rose obsessed with the knives and all that stuff just like Alex is in this one."

Yup, she was obsessed with Knives. She kept on wanting to use the special weapons just like Alex. Like I said, you can literally go on and on forever with the amount of copying in this book. It's borderline plagiarism. :/

« previous 1 3 4