Laura's Reviews > The Amen Solution: The Brain Healthy Way to Lose Weight and Keep It Off

The Amen Solution by Daniel G. Amen

Sep 28, 11

Read in September, 2011

I found this book informative and motivating to make some positive health changes in my life. I don't know much about SPECT brain images, and I noticed that there are some websites accusing Amen of being a quack or a scam. Even if all of the SPECT image info was dropped from the book, his nutrition information corresponds to what I've read in many other books about the relationship between a healthy brain and overall wellness. His advice for supplements matched my own doctor's advice after a series of blood tests that I had, and I have felt a significant increase in my energy levels and my ability to think clearly since I've started taking a few key supplements (and mind you, I'm someone who hasn't taken supplements regularly in about 4 or more years). Sometimes, I found Amen's "Would-everyone-else-please-figure-out-what-I-know-already-and-get-healthy?" tone a bit annoying, but the book is easy to read and well laid-out. Just when you start to lose your mind in scientific talk, he breaks it up with a success story of one of his patients, complete with before and after photos (don't we all love those?). I also like the idea of thinking about health in terms of obtaining and maintaining a healthy brain. It takes the focus off of the pants size and the weight, and it reminds me of what's really important about eating healthy and keeping physically fit -- living well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Amen Solution.