Lianne Burwell's Reviews > Cardcaptor Sakura Omnibus 1

Cardcaptor Sakura Omnibus 1 by CLAMP

Oct 04, 11

bookshelves: graphic-novel, library
Read from September 28 to October 03, 2011

I've been a longtime Clamp fan, but I don't think I've ever really sat down with this series. It falls into the category of Magical Girl (like Sailor Moon), and is definitely aimed at a younger market.

Sakura is a normal fourth-grader who finds a magic book that used to hold cards (they look rather like Tarot cards). The guardian fell asleep and let the cards escape. Sakura found the book, so she obviously has the magic power needed to catch the cards, and each card captured gives her more power to call on (a touch of Pokeman?).

All this sounds like fun, but for some people there are more problematic subplots. There are suggestions that Sakura's brother is in love with his (male) best friend, as are Sakura and her (male) rival. Also, Sakura's (female) best friend hints that she is in love with Sakura, much like her mother was in love with Sakura's mother (her cousin), and hates Sakura's father for stealing her away.

As well, Sakura's parents were high school teacher and student when they married. And then there's the secret engagement between Sakura's classmate (grade four, remember) and their teacher. This is the only element that really bothered me, but if I ignored it, I really enjoyed the series.

As with all Clamp manga, the artwork is gorgeous, and the omnibus edition (volumes 1-3 in the original version) includes a lot of gorgeous colour pages.

And for the curious, their other series, Tsubasa, does include many of the characters from this series and other series in an alternate universe sort of way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cardcaptor Sakura Omnibus 1.