Jeremy's Reviews > Shadow of the Giant

Shadow of the Giant by Orson Scott Card

May 05, 08

bookshelves: listened-to
Read in April, 2008

** spoiler alert ** I have been listening to all of the Ender books on CD. I definitely recommend listening to Card's books if you have enjoyed reading any of them.

Spoiler Alert

I had a really hard time trying to figure out why Petra and the "normal" kids couldn't go with Bean and the other kids. They kept saying that it would be terrible to have the other kids waste their childhood on a spaceship but at the same time they commented that what would only seem to be a few weeks to Bean, Petra would be old and grey. Seams to me that the Petra and the normal kids could have suffered through a few weeks on a spaceship without wasting away. Heck, they could have made it a few years even - look at Ender and Valentine, they traveled 3000 years and only aged a few.

It just didn't make sense to me why Petra wouldn't have gone with Bean.

Even with that I enjoyed the book and look forward to Shadows in Flight.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow of the Giant.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Rebekah Bean was certain that a cure was never going to be found, but he wanted to do some good for humanity, so he and the kids with the key turned would go out farther into space than anyone else would want to go, finding new worlds for human habitation, so Petra and the regular kids would have been wasting their whole lives, especially as they would live longer than Bean and the other 3, but Bean hoped that they could do more good on earth, and the kids would be able to go on knowing that the regular kids would be having regular lives. Also the last baby wasn't found, so Petra would stay behind to keep searching for it, though Bean didn't know this would be the case when he made the decision.