Luke Devenish's Reviews > Horizon Storms

Horizon Storms by Kevin J. Anderson

Oct 23, 11

Read from September 28 to October 15, 2011

I have an occasional love affair with the books in this sprawling space yarn. I also have an occasional hate affair with them. By God, but they polarise me! I tackle one of them every year or so, and as was the case with the previous two volumes, I got about a third of the way in and wanted to fling the damn thing across the room because the plot felt so damned somnambulistic. But I persevered because, well, there are lots and lots of robots in it, and I'm a sucker for those. Then I got two thirds in and was totally hooked once more, and would have been even if there weren't robots tearing up the scenery. Kev Anderson's vision for this saga is so gobsmacking, I can't deny it. It's goddamn VAST and I love it for that. I also love that humanity is but a speck in a galactic conflict that transcends time, physics, and yes, sheer comprehension. But this is why I also occasionally hate it: SO MANY PLOT LINES. I hesitate to say 'too many', because it's not as if any of them ultimately fail to deliver, but some of them do feel like they're treading water in places. Especially in the first third of the book when they're all being established once again. Just as something exciting happens, the book invariably shifts to another plot, and too often the exciting thing isn't touched upon again for another fifty pages. This is a tension killer, make no mistake. What this volume lacked: poor, hapless, put-upon Nira, long suffering in green, who broke my heart in Book Two with all her dreadful maltreatment on Dobro. Sure, we find out her fate here, but that's about all. What I loved in this volume: Jora'h's lipstick lezzo daughter with the cats - fantastic addition; Benito coming back as a tree - inspired; the evil Klikkiss robots finally showing their true colours and getting down to some good old fashioned annihilation. Poor little whats-her-name as the sole survivor of the apocalypse on Corobus was WONDERFUL. What I HOPE I will get when I read the remaining four volumes: chapters told from the point of view of both the hydrogues and the faeros. If I reach the end of the saga none the wiser about these ghastly aliens' points of view I shall be very annoyed. My theory as to why Kev has given his saga the same name as the Ildirans' ongoing historical record: we shall eventually learn that the seven books are, in fact, from that self same record and that humanity has united with the Ildirans, their long lost brothers, and won a place in their hearts. Call me an old softy, but I WANT that to happen to make it all seem worthwhile.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Horizon Storms.