Crystal's Reviews > The Unquiet

The Unquiet by Jeannine Garsee

Jun 25, 12

bookshelves: can-t-wait-to-read-2012, netgalley, reviewd
Read from May 26 to 30, 2012

The Unquiet seemed like it would be a really creepy and interesting ghost story. I had really been craving reading it when I first saw the cover and read the synopsis on Goodreads. I immediately requested it on Netgalley and I couldn’t wait to start it!

As soon as I began, I was a little bit disappointed. It started out like a lot of contemporaries I’ve read in the past. Girl arrives in a new town right before school starts, first boy girl meets she likes and they become a thing (because of course he’s good looking and single) and girl gets an immediate in with the kids at her new school. This aspect of the story really bothered me because I think it only shows one side to the character’s personality. All we’re seeing is that Rinn must be this amazing person because all the people flocked to her and wanted to be her friends instead of her having to seek out her friends. I think it show the complexity of a character.

What I did think was really interesting was her past and the disease that she struggles with and how it affected her before she moved to the new town. Like a lot of characters I read, Rinn carries around a lot of guilt and blames herself for the death of one of her loved ones.

I also really enjoyed the ghost story part. Annaliese was a really great ghost! She haunted the school’s pool room where she died and has feed off the energy of the other students. As she gets stronger and stronger she is able to affect people outside of school and Rinn’s friends start acting really crazy! I really loved the complexity of Rinn’s mom. She practically became a different person when Annaliese started gaining power. The mean girl inside of her starting coming out and it was pretty creepy!

As a whole, the book was pretty good and I enjoyed the ghost taking revenge on those who harm her story. I give The Unquiet 3 hearts because even though I liked it, I struggled to finish it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unquiet.

05/26/2012 page 22
05/27/2012 page 89
23.0% "This book is different than I thought it would be."
05/27/2012 page 156
40.0% "It's definitely getting better. And more creepy :)"
05/30/2012 page 330